I know I sound like a Noob, but...

alex0203

I really want to know how do I get a clean sound on my recordings? Sometimes, they sound kind of amateurish, you know. Then other times, I like how it all turns out (but that's rare).

I'm not looking for major label quality. We all know that there's a ton of indie bands who don't have much money, but they produce radio-worthy recordings. I'm not asking how to write a song, I'd just like to know how to get that clear production.

Is there something I don't know about sampling rates and such?

It's not your sampling rates... If you can't make an absolutely stellar-sounding recording at your target rate (44.1k audio, 48k video), you aren't going to make an absolutely stellar-sounding recording at any other rate.

Universally, the monitoring chain is going to be the biggest factor - that includes the room they're in. That's how you figure out how everything else sounds.

I have no idea what your situation is, but some of the bigger goofs I see are:

Wrong mic - A lot of people toss up a LDC in front of an aggressive vocalist and wonder why it sounds too detailed...

Bad preamp - "Cheap" and "tube" in one sentence usually leads to "crap" in the next. Or cheapie preamps in any case. Not that there aren't a few freakishly inexpensive preamps out there that do a pretty decent job (M-Audio's DMP3 is legendary in that regard).

Tracking too hot - Goes without saying. Getting your tracking levels "up near the red" is so far beyond the voltage that the rest of the chain is designed to handle that it shocks me every time I see such nonsense in a manual (it's still in some manuals).

Bad space - This is exceptionally problematic when using a mic that's too detailed for the source.

100 other things - But those are some biggies...

post an example here or in the MP3 clinic, its pretty hard to make any suggestions without hearing an example

Absolutely +1 for John's info. ;)

Only other thing I'd mention is, once you get your room and monitors up to snuff, lo cuts can be your friend.

You gotta use your ears but, go into your individual tracks and cut the lows that don't add anything to that track except for mud.

I used to just lo cut damn near everything but as my ears are getting better, I hone in a little better and cut out what's conflicting or just adding the mud.

But, after the monitors and the room, the 2 biggest factors that have helped my mixes were...
#1...I was tracking too hot.
#2...getting a grasp of lo cuts.

+1 to everything above, however, I rarely see this response when this sort of question is asked... so here goes...

Taking into consideration that you have a decent space, mic, preamp, and monitoring situation, and track at appropriate levels, you're going to get a good clean sound going in. Then you have what you need to begin the "process" which is what I believe most answers to these types of posts neglect.

Tracks are individually listened to, shaped, modified, (or left alone sometimes) compressed, expanded, eq'd. reverb'd etc etc so that it fits. Overdoing this, underdoing this, screwing up a good mix, making the best with what you have, twisting knobs, and learning are all things that make you better, and will improve your quality. I've seen great engineers make great recordings with crap gear, but I have never seen inexperienced people make great recordings with great gear.

Do the best you can with what you have, and every time you finish a project, go back and listen, you'll find things you like, things you hate, things that embarass you, and things you want everyone you know to listen to. Just remember what you did for certain scenarios, and twist knobs until you get familiar with as many processes as you can.

Tracking is a process with individual steps, mixing is an altogether different process with its own steps, mastering, burning, etc... break down your goals into smaller processes and focus on one. If you try to tackle the whole thing at once, it will beat you.

That's a long winded way of saying, look at the above mentioned advice, and if you determine that maybe you're tracking too loud, practice just the tracking process until you KNOW it, know what a compressor does, a limiter, gates, enhancers, what mics are good for what sources, learn how your pre plays with each of your mics, and where the sweetspots are in the gain staging... see what I mean... there is a lot to consider just in the tracking process.

HTH

JM

A decent recording chain

Like all the guys said. You need a good chain, a nice mic, preamp, and a good A/D converter. Try to record in a very quite place and get a good signal to noise ratio. the richer the sound source the better.
There are no short cuts to get high quality audio.

Without adding any real new information, here's one thing to consider. DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT!!!! Write down what you're doing. That way, when you like it . . . you know what you did right.

Focus on strong performances as well. Honesty translates. So a great and passionate take will carry better than a mediocre take that's well "produced." Just my thoughts.

Without adding any real new information, here's one thing to consider. DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT!!!! Write down what you're doing.

Yeah, I need to stop being lazy with this part in particular.

Everyone helped GREATLY! thanks so much. If anyone else wants to add to this, please do, you can only help more.

Much love.:D

Back