I got the synth, need advises on multitrack recording

Papoola

Hi anyone and thanks to whom will reply.I am trying to record my ambient music with Cubase, but being a newbie i found extremely messy to assign sounds:i.e.when playing the MIDI event just recorded, i listen to different sounds. Apart from this issue that probably could be solved, i have a SB Live and I guess an up-grade will be necessary soon. A limit more is that i have a 16 voices synth: I think, if i am right, that with MIDI sequencers i will be limited to sixteen events or will be obliged to convert some midi to wav to free the synth capacity again.(Is this mcomplex too??)Now,wouldnt be easier and better to use a multitrack HD recording ??? Is something you better advise to a newbie o better stick to MIDI sequencing after a magic learning course ?? I remember in the 80's how easy was analogic Tascam multitrack recording.!!
Better go for MD, DAT or Hard disk machines??? Thanks a lot , I strongly believe need help.

Ciao! if you are only recording MIDI and have no need to record actual acoustic instruments or vocals,I think the simplest solution would be to get a second MIDI sound module,which would give you at least 16 more MIDI channels.Almost every current sequencer supports at least 32 MIDI channels.For the recording,all you would need is a 2 track recorder,it could be a CD recorder or a Minidisc which costs less and sounds very good.Arrividerci!

Ciao, in effect i am looking for any brave excuse to buy a multitracker. In effect i am quite busy and hard in learning the MIDI stuff. Furthermore i will have to handle the sound via the sblaster and many people comment this card has a lot of noise. In other words a multitracker as Fostex FD8 or Roland 88o seems to offer better quality sound and easyness. I will have my synth a the multitracker just at hands distance.
Why is all the world so strongly sponsoring PC usage in audio this days ???
Tks in commenting and arrivederci

I have a Roland VS-880EX and I also use MIDI,so I know that this can be a very effective way to work.I was just trying to save you some money because the only thing you can't do with MIDI sequencing is record vocals and acoustic instruments and if you don't do that you don't need a multitrack...But needing and wanting are not the same so if you WANT one I can tell you the 990 is a cool machine,but be prepared to do some learning with it as well.A lot of people like computer stuff "cause it's cost effective and there's a vast choice of stuff out there with more being added all the time. P.S. I typed 990 above,I meant to type 880,sorry,it's late.Ciao!

Back