I could really use some HELP...

Monkeyspunk

Okay here is the deal,

I am looping tracks from Acid through a Mackie 1402, mixing that with vocals and guitar. I know the vocals need to be modulated (I could help here too). Then I am trying to record this into the same computer to record on CD. Is this possible? I don't want to go to cassette tape if I can help it. I could really used good advise from experienced people so that I may get my sound out. Also, any advise on descent sound cards to record from? I am willing to settle for Prosumer (Industial cost too much).

thanx,
MS

I did read it Dragon (luv this sight, very, very, helpful), but...

So it is possible to go out of the computer with a mix into a Mackie 1402vlz, add a few live instruments, then record back to hard drive in real time (all at once)? Please tell me how? Do I need Sound Forge XP to do this? By voice modulation, I meant changing the vocals in a "Jonny Bravo" sort of way, but driving a bit closer to Skinny Puppy/Godfesh/Rockabilly sound....

OK, somehow on the first pass I missed the fact that you were coming out of the computer somehow...it's still possible, of course, if you have either two sound cards or one of the more expensive multiple I/O cards (like Darla/Gina/Layla or AARK or Gadgetlabs 8/24). You'd just go out through Acid and record in your favorite audio editing program, don't even need a specific multitrack program, so yes, Sound Forge XP or Goldwave or any of those would work if you'd be happy with a "live" stereo mix. A multitrack recording program would give you more control and flexibility though...I'm starting to recommend n-track, though the full review isn't quite done.

You can do your modulation to the vocal track after recording it with any of a number of DirectX audio plugins or live using an external effects box via the mixer effects loop. Sorry, though, I don't recognize any of those names!

What is a good PROSUMER multitrack mix/software/thingamabob? Sorry, but I am more of a Vidiot and digital recording is very new to me.

MS

I used to be a video guy myself. Prosumer usually means "better than what you can buy at Radio Shack but not as expensive as what the pros really use". But in audio, there are really only 3 levels:

1. the cheap sound card you get with your computer
2. a music-oriented sound card
3. pro-level sound cards, which are $2K or more, I believe

Now, most of us here are either using #1 or #2 level stuff. The #2 level, which is what I would call "prosumer", varies in cost from maybe $250 to $1000 or so. The main reason for that variance is the number of inputs and outputs, which doesn't affect the sound per se, but does affect convenience and how many separate tracks you can record simultaneously.

In analog video, there's a great difference between prosumer equipment and pro stuff like Betacam SP. Similarly, there's a great difference in quality between prosumer multitrack cassettes and analog 1" and 2" gear. But like in video, where digital has brought the price of pro-level equipment to reasonable ranges, there's very little real quality difference between a good 20 or 24-bit digital 8-channel sound card and a "professional" version. Either one can make recordings so clear you'll cry when you first hear them coming out of your own computer.

There are a number of good sound cards and software packages listed on the digital page of the main site at https://homerecording.com/digital.html and you can search this BBS and the main site for further information and people's experiences, since they've all been discussed in great detail here (I know you've been there, but I'm sure a few other folks haven't).

[This message has been edited by Dragon (edited 07-29-1999).]

Full Duplex

Actually, all you need to have to both play and record at the same time is a full-duplex sound card. I believe most of the cheap stuff now is full duplex, due to the popularity of shit like netcams and internet telephony. Quality might be an issue with a cheap sound card

Alternative, try something like the Tascam 428, in which case you get a controller, a limited version of cubase software, and just plug it straight into a USB port, no soundcard needed, for about 500 something bucks

Back