Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How you deal with Heat in summers while recording - I switch off Fan but I have to AC

Thanks

Question How you deal with Heat in summers while recording - I switch off Fan but I have to AC

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello,

I setup a home studio in last winters, things were going great and now as summers going on, now it's a bit difficult to record.
    So far I managed somehow. Here we had a 48 degree temperature but now it's 35 degree and humidity level is 75.

I switch off the fan while recording but I keep AC running while recording (I may bear the heat ) but in order to keep PC cool I have to run AC

Now the issue is after recording when I remove the AC noise from recording using Audacity then it takes away the essence of real recording. Afterwards My voice sounds like less original, smooth and rich.

May I ask you how to record in summers? Do you follow the same route as I'm having to...

Thanks
    I'm guessing you have some kind of AC window unit...?...which of course will be pretty noisy.

I have central AC, and my studio has an air-duct, so you can just barely hear the airflow when the AC is running...and my studio doesn't get over 72-73F even when I have my mixing console, 2" tape deck and a bunch of other rack gear and amps running. When I don't need to use a lot of gear, it can get pretty cool in there to where I have to turn down the AC by a couple of degrees...like if I'm just editing at the DAW...etc.
    Today it's hitting 90F+ outside, humidity isn't real bad...and in the studio its cool and comfortable.

So your problem is having AC that isn't noisy.
    They have the newer "ductless" systems, where you only have the small air-flow control unit on the wall...but the compressor is down on the ground. Those are pretty quiet and many have a whisper mode. I will be installing that kind of setup in my new studio which will be built soon....rather than the big central style compressor/ducts.

Thanks
    timing is your friend. Plan what you want to record, get everything all set and just before you hit 'record', shut the a/c off. Unless you're recording grand opuses in one take, do your thing and when you hit 'stop', turn the a/c back on. If you just want to noodle and hope to mine some gems, eh, you might be out of luck.

I used to have the opposite problem, a noisy humidifier in winter. Had to shut it off before recording with mics. In this case it's a little more devious because you don't necessarily feel the humidity like you feel temperature and it is way too easy to forget to turn it back on and wake up in the morning with dried eyes and nose and crackling static electricity. Takes forever and a day to get the humidity back up too, way longer than trying to cool off a room.

Or just record direct and the environmental control machine noises aren't a factor beyond potential dirty electricity noises.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bluesfordan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm in a basement, it's still warm but it's not so hot that I can't make it work. In the winter time when it gets really cold I turn on the heat, wait about an hour then turn it off and go record. It's finished so it retains the heat pretty well, I also just deal with hoodies in the winter.
    My home studio ---> www.nerolstudio.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Guitargodgt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hoodies help to attenuate flutter

Thanks
    48c is hot. plus the 75% humidity. That's gotta suck.

I used to have a window unit in my little studio, but it was noisy. Not so much that it affected my recordings, you couldn't actually hear it above the guitars, but it was the constant droning that made it untenable. Based on a suggestion from someone here, I removed the window unit and installed a mini-split a/c. That was the best decision ever and so worth the money and effort. I installed it myself and paid a tech to set the pressures.

If you've got the means, get a mini-split. It will solve your cooling and noise problems.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chili For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My split system is so quiet I can leave on low fan all the time while recording. Mitsubishi, 18dB(a) in quiet mode.

Alan.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to witzendoz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by witzendoz View Post
    My split system is so quiet I can leave on low fan all the time while recording. Mitsubishi, 18dB(a) in quiet mode.

Alan.
    Yeah...that's what the service manager from my HVAC/fuel supplier said when he happened to be at my house end of the winter, doing a ride-along with his tech...so I had a nice 30 minutes to speak with him while the tech serviced my furnace.
    He said they've installed them in a couple of studio/music locations...and they were great, and quite in normal mode, but there was also a whisper/quiet mode that made them almost inaudible...I think there was just a lower output, or maybe the return fan gets shut off (don't remember)...but that I need not worry about going with them. I think they also install the Mitsubishi units.

The interesting thing I learned from my contractor, is that even though they are called ductless splits...there are units that actually can have ducts...so that you can feed more than one room, though of course, the controller would be only available in one of the rooms.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    I would be interested to know from the PC/mac experts if the OP SHOULD be worried about the temperature affecting the PC?

My thought is that any piece of electronic gear on sale to the general public should be operable in any conditions a human can tolerate? High quality audio equipment has been around for a good half century and is expected to work from poles to tropics (see "tropicalized" transformers). AC in any affordable form has only been around for 20 years?

Of course, if you have taken a stock PC, overclocked it and stuffed it with ram and spinners it might not cope! Then, peeps put desktops in cupboards to stop noise, you could do that and duct the heat away?

Dave.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Maybe the OP has a computer that already has heating issues. Usually that's attributable to a build-up of dust and dirt in the box.

As already suggested, turn off the a/c, do your tracking, turn it back on. In 15-20 minutes, the temperature is not going to climb that much. I do most of my tracking in the winter, though, when the windows are closed, people aren't outside making noise, etc.
    Last edited by mjbphotos; 07-31-2019 at 04:00.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mjbphotos For This Useful Post:

Thread Information