How to work on my old Cool Edit .ses files and other questions

recordiano

Hi everyone.

Years back I had Cool Edit 2 installed on Windows 7 and made some recordings with it. For drums, bass & keyboard loops I would use Fruity Loops. I would then import the loop into CoolEdit and add physical guitar, other instruments and voice there.

Cables were connected directly to a normal, non professional audio card. Amazingly, everything seemed to work.

My mic is a Samson G-track which is descent, at least to me. For recording with it, I would extend the cable and go to the next room, so that it wouldn’t pick the computer noise.

That was then.

Now, I’m thinking of starting again, with home recordings. The thing is, I’m not sure how.

My old Cool Edit version doesn’t seem to work on Windows 10. I installed Audobe Autdition 2019, which I thought was the continuation of Cool Edit, but it doesn’t seem to recognize my old .ses files (!) I downloaded a program called SES2SESX, in order to try an convert them to .sesx, but the converted files don’t seem to work.

So, here are a couple of questions, to anyone who might be able to help:

a) How can I work on my old Cool Edit 2 .ses files?
b) What is a good multichannel CoolEdit-like software for me to use on my Windows 10?
c) What is a good program for me to make drums, bass and chords loops?
d) Do you think I’d need an audio card? Right now I have a simple, built-in my old motherboard.

I’d appreciate any answers here. Also, if possible, please specify if the suggested software is freeware or not.

Thanks!

a) You would need someone who has used Cool Edit or AA to answer this. However, even if you can't load the .ses. files, maybe you can reconstruct the song with the WAV files created within CE. However, if yo only have the .ses. files and not the WAV files, then there's nothing you can do.
b) My recommendation is Reaper: cheap, powerful, flexible, and withtout making huge space or CPU demands on your system.
c) Fruity Lops is still around, so if that's what you are used to, you can use that.
d) Getting an audio interface is a worthwhile investment if you want to pursue computer-based recording. It will make your recording life so much easier as well as improving quality.

An additional point:
e) I will unearth an old machine I've got hanging around and see if it still has CE on it. I have a vague memory of having it many years ago and I think I still have that box. That might open some possibilities.

As it happens, I fired up an old XP box and (a) it sprang into life, and (b) it has Cool Edit Pro v2 on it.

If you have a CE project complete with its WAV files, it would be an interesting exercise to put them into Googledrive or similar to see whether I can then get them going here. I could then render to stems which would allow you to import them into AA (or some other DAW).

The official way would be to run AATranslator to translate your old sessions into something that a newer DAW would recognise. The other way is to find someone with Adobe Audition 3 which will open old Cool Edit Pro files and also runs on Windows 10.

I moved from Audition to Reaper and found the transition fairly easy.

Back