How to use outboard insert gear multiple times in song?

In my mind, recording/mixing is alllll about commitment. People are too scared these days to make a commitment. They record dry, and then they leave CPU intensive plugins active across their whole session for fear of needing to go back and tweak it later in the mix. My theory is, yes, adjust your otb gear with the whole mix up (not in solo), but get it to it's sweet spot and print that damn thang! Then move on. Guess what? You'll finish more tracks faster that way rather than fussing about for days on end about the Slate VTM tape setting (for example) you put on your bass track!

Lately, I believe in printing all the stuff you know sounds good like a setting you found on an otb comp, amp sim, drum trigger, or a tape saturation setting on a track, and only having up the core plugins you should be actually concerned about tweaking down the line in mixing that will make a discernible difference, like channel strips on all your tracks as well as the plugins/otb gear on your parallel sends.

Commit! And move on!

well, serious is probably a reach ..... :D
but no, I do all my recording in the analog realm even though it's all going to a digital recorder in the end.
But I don't record to a puter or an all-in-one and I don't have a single plug-in or recording DAW nor any way to use one even if I did.

What do you record to Bob?

a couple of Fostex D1624s

It's a digital recorder but like a reel to reel. It records and that's it ..... you have to have a mixer and outboard gear just as if it were a reel to reel.
It does have some rudimentary copy and pasting abilities but that's about it.

a couple of Fostex D1624s

It's a digital recorder but like a reel to reel. It records and that's it ..... you have to have a mixer and outboard gear just as if it were a reel to reel.
It does have some rudimentary copy and pasting abilities but that's about it.

Oh ok, yeah I got it. So they operate kind of like ADATs (except they're hard disk instead of digital tape) in that way. They're 16 track though, right? So do you have two of them synced for 32 tracks?

I used to have the Vestax HDR8, which was kind of like a lesser-known 8-track version of yours units.
Vestax HDR 8 Dig 2 Digital 8 Track Recorder Rackmountable | eBay

Oh ok, yeah I got it. So they operate kind of like ADATs (except they're hard disk instead of digital tape) in that way. They're 16 track though, right? So do you have two of them synced for 32 tracks?
I can but I rarely do.
Most of the time I don't have a need for more than 16 tracks and even when I do, having grown up with 4 tracks, I'm comfortable pinging a few tracks down to one or a bunch to 2 tracks when i want them in stereo.
So I have one mostly sitting up in a flight case for 16 track location recording.

I can but I rarely do.
Most of the time I don't have a need for more than 16 tracks and even when I do, having grown up with 4 tracks, I'm comfortable pinging a few tracks down to one or a bunch to 2 tracks when i want them in stereo.
So I have one mostly sitting up in a flight case for 16 track location recording.

Nice to have a portable setup as a backup. :) I grew up on 4-tracks too, and I still use the Tascam 246 for some songs. :)

Back