How to use Beta58A or Shure SM 58 at home for recordings?

I took this cable and the microphone, however, couldn't purchase the interface because they don't deliver it to Hungary. Would I be able to use the microphone with a good sound quality without the interface?
Thanks!

Both Thomann (EU) and Gear4Music (uk) deliver to Hungary. I dare say plenty more? Oh! No, it won't work an interface is basic equipment.

Dave

Dave, I've seen you mention the P170 a few times. How does this mic do with proximity effect if one gets in close to it similar to as one would with a dynamic such as an SM58? I haven't used any condenser SD pencil type mics for vocals, so I don't know if having a small diaphragm reduces the proximity effect compared to an LD type mic.

Bit rushed and it is B cold in there! The close mic was a bit TOO close, chuffing and popping sounds but I don't think there is a huge amount of proximity effect? The gain setting for the distant mic was close to 100% to try to balance for the distant one.

I think this shows you need to be a few inches off a capacitor and use a good pop shield.

A bit later I shall try to do a similar recording with my Prodipe dynamic, near and far.

Dave.

Attachments

• prox eft p150.mp3
    836.4 KB · Views: 6
Bit rushed and it is B cold in there! The close mic was a bit TOO close, chuffing and popping sounds but I don't think there is a huge amount of proximity effect? The gain setting for the distant mic was close to 100% to try to balance for the distant one.

I think this shows you need to be a few inches off a capacitor and use a good pop shield.

A bit later I shall try to do a similar recording with my Prodipe dynamic, near and far.

Dave.

Thanks for the clip Dave......

I had done a bit of a search on the subject and found (good article on LDC/SDC comparisons).....

Size Matters: The Differences In Large- And Small-Diaphragm Condenser Microphones - Page 2 of 3 - ProSoundWeb

"Directional mics have a rise in low-frequency response when used close to a sound source. It’s called the proximity effect. An SDC tends to roll off more at low frequencies than an LDC.

So the proximity effect emphasizes the mid-lows in an SDC, but emphasizes the deep lows in an LDC. As a result, an up-close SDC may have a “puffy” midbass boost – a coloration less likely to be heard with an LDC.

Because its proximity effect tends to sound better, an LDC is the most popular choice for micing vocalists in the studio."

It sounds like the low end proximity is shifted in the SDC. At the moment I have a pretty bad cold, but I think I'm going to give a try to one of my pencil SDC's at sometime in the future. For some stuff I do I like using the near proximity of an LDC and I'm not so sure an SDC will get there.

Good intel that Mark. I was not aware of the different way SDCs and LDCs behave re proximity effect though I was aware that SDCs tend to be more "hi fi". I have a Sontronics STC-2 LDC will do some tests with that later.

Attached is me on the Prodipe TT1 . God! I sound rough! Can't seem to shake off a bit of a sniffle and sore throat. (bloody English weather!) The "near" take cleans up quite well with a bit of paramatic HPF* at around 180Hz.

*One of THE adavantages of an integrated mixer/interface is that they often have HPFs in the mic channel or/and at least treble&bass. I am not a great advocate of messing with a signal "going in" but very few sources need a response down to 20Hz! Most in fact don't get below 100Hz. The way bass cut cleans things up is, to me, SO useful that I cannot understand why the facility does not exist on any AI I know of? (yes, top end stuff has software EQ but K.I.S.Sir&Sis, this IS Home Recording!

Dave.

Attachments

• prodipe far01.mp3
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • prodipe near01.mp3
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
One more question, from these ones:

Brauner Phantom AE

AKG C430

Rode NT55

Shure SM58

Shure SM57

AKG D409

AKG D112

AKG D550

SE Electronics Reflexion Filter

Which one would have the clearest, best quality of sound? I am asking because I would like to record in a studio at some time in future when I am completely prepared.

I took both of them and I am waiting for them impatiently!

Hello,
So I have now Shure SM58 and the interface UR2 Steinberg but it ain't work. Could you help me with that? I also have a cable. Could it be that I don't have anything installed on my laptop or that it is not strong enough and I need another device? My laptop is Lenovo Ideapad 330 so it should be strong enough I guess? Any suggestions? Please, help me out with that because I really need to use it.
Thanks!

Hello,
So I have now Shure SM58 and the interface UR2 Steinberg but it ain't work. Could you help me with that? I also have a cable. Could it be that I don't have anything installed on my laptop or that it is not strong enough and I need another device? My laptop is Lenovo Ideapad 330 so it should be strong enough I guess? Any suggestions? Please, help me out with that because I really need to use it.
Thanks!
What software do you have installed with the Steinberg UR22? I.e., you have the Shure SM58 connected to the Steinberg UR22 via XLR cable and that is plugged into the Ideapad 330 via a USB cable into one of the USB ports, right? Then, when you say "it ain't work" what are you trying to record with and monitor/listen with?

Hello,
Thanks!

So you have the Steinberg UR22 right?

Did you follow the instructions and register your software/interface and download the driver for your operating system via Steinberg?

That is the usual cause of things not working.

Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver Updates and Downloads | Steinberg

The answer is simple: neither. IMHO get a Beyerdynamic M201. Better rejection and everything. ;-)
AND it kills on snare and everywhere you would use a SM57.

So you read the OP's post and find this to be the simple answer? Obviously you did not...

Not a very good start here buddy.

Welcome to the forum, but you may want to check yourself and keep your opinions to relevant questions... Just sayin...

Hi Nate! :)

Hello,
Thanks!

Are you still in bother with the UR22 Bee? If so the first thing to check is that the laptop* PLAYS out through the AI into headphones. YT, or radio or a CD. People, especially newbs, tend to jump straight into recording and if drivers and W7 is not setup correctly they get lost.

So, once you have established the interface as the DEFAULT playback device in Windows Sound Devices check it is set as the recording device as well. You should be running ASIO drivers, check the Steinberg info for that.

*That Lenovo is easily good enough for 2 track recoding and would not have any problems with 20+ even in the most basic specification I can find for it. That said, if it has just 4G of ram I would consider doubling that at some point in the future. 8G is however easily as much as you need unless you will be doing 4k video or shedloads of sample sample stuff. Another consideration is an external USB 3.0 backup drive but again, no rush, leave printouts around close to birthday dates!

Dave.

Back