How to use Beta58A or Shure SM 58 at home for recordings?

music_bee

Hello guys,

I am completely new to the topic connected with microphones. I have singing experience and now I would like to set a microphone at my home. However, I am not sure if I would need anything else for a wireless microphone. Is it necessary to have a mixer or interface? How to connect Beta58A or Shure SM58?

Thank you so much in advance!:):):)

Interface for sure. What is your budget and what do you intend to do? Just record over backing tracks?

And welcome to the forum!

Hello guys,

I am completely new to the topic connected with microphones. I have singing experience and now I would like to set a microphone at my home. However, I am not sure if I would need anything else for a wireless microphone. Is it necessary to have a mixer or interface? How to connect Beta58A or Shure SM58?

Thank you so much in advance!:):):)
I'm assuming you have a wireless microphone rig that consists of a wireless microphone and a receiver? The wireless bit only gets the audio signal from the mic to the corresponding receiver, which will have a microphone (XLR) jack on the back that needs to be connected to the next piece via a short mic cable. So, yes, you need an [audio] interface to connect to the computer, whether that is just an interface or a mixer with digital output capability, typically a USB connection. (If your computer already equipped with a "soundcard" that had decent analog to digital (A/D) converters, you can plug directly into that, but probably still need an adapter cable. This is a less common setup these days, TBH.)

Maybe more info on the equipment you have (mic/receiver/computer, anything else) would help.

Thanks for your quick answer! Are any of those suitable: Presonus Audiobox
ART USB Dual Pre
Line6 UX2

I intend to sing and use it probably for voice acting. Should I choose BETA 58A and which interface would be suitable?

The budget...probably something like 300 euros.

So far I don't have any equipment at all.

ART USB Dual Pre
Line6 UX2

I intend to sing and use it probably for voice acting. Should I choose BETA 58A and which interface would be suitable?

Oof! I find the mic at 150 euros, deff go for the Audio Box 100ee? Then you need cables and a mic stand would be handy. Wireless kit for a nifty?

You need to be wary of wireless mic gear that you stay the right side of the law. Why the Beta 58A specifically and what have you got against mic cables?

Dave.

Hi! I am not competent enough to have an opinion on the topic... That's why I am asking. So, what's your suggestion? Could you recommend other microphones as well? As a wireless microphone, it would be necessary to get either interface or a mic cable or what? It would be important to me to have a really good sound quality.

ART USB Dual Pre
Line6 UX2

Why wireless, then? You'd blow through that budget getting a wireless rig.

The Beta is a "hotter" mic in comparison to the SM58, but also a tighter pattern (supercardioid vs cardioid) so can be a little more of a learning curve in terms of standing still in front of it. It tends to sound brighter, but it's also easier on the lower end interfaces because of the higher output.

The SM58 will require most of the gain any entry level interface can provide. The ART shows only 48dB of "clean gain" so might be a push.

Here's a video about a Behringer interface using the SM58 so you can see what I am referring to - dynamic microphones are generally going to give a pure interface's gain a good test of how clean it can be near the upper limit.

YouTube

P.S. I'd probably not choose any of those you've listed, but that's me. Are you looking at used equipment? You should be able to get a good mic, interface, stand, headphones, and pop filter easily for your budget I'd think. (Then, there's the recording space and that setup, but that's a giant can of worms...)

Hey, Keith. If not wireless, then which type? Also, if I take Shure SM58, with which interface should I combine it? What else would I need as a must?

Since I want to take as soon as possible, which would be the best combination between an interface and the microphone Shure SM58?

Since I want to take as soon as possible, which would be the best combination between an interface and the microphone Shure SM58?

You said "home use" in your original post, that means to me you don't need any wireless kit and since you want THE best sound quality any wireless system is going to degrade the signal a bit, although the really expensive stuff is close to perfect.

Interface then? Lots of people rate the Focusrite 2i2 and yes, it is a first class device but the Steinberg UR22 is slightly cheaper and, IMHO gives nothing away to the 2i2. The UR22 has a bit more microphone gain and by all reports I have seen very low noise, qualities you need for a dynamic mic. Mind you, almost any modern AI will be fine for lusty singing but you did mention "acting"? If that includes "intimate" speech you will need a good. low noise system.

Now, I don't want to confuse you further but there is another microphone option. A Small Diaphragm Capacitor (aka condenser) such as the AKG P 170. Such microphones have about 3 times the sensitivity of the SM58 (10dB) and thus solve the noise issue. They are comparable in price.
You will be told that a "condenser" will pickup more room effect but that is something you have to deal with anyway.

So, mic + UR22 ~e200, that leaves a goodly chunk for cables, stand, even a modest set of headphones. You have not mentioned recording software but the UR22 comes with some. Cubase. Where are you in Europe?

Dave.

I don't believe anyone asked and sometimes assumptions are made. Do you have a computer with an available USB port (USB2.0 or higher) to enable the use of an USB interface?

Besides the mic and interface....
- Headphones to be able to track vocals along with backing track.
- Don't get really cheap cables for the microphone, but get decent ones that will last a while. They need not be expensive to get good quality.
- DAW(digital audio workstation) software to record with. Reaper is a good software that gets recommended here and can be used free with some limitations, but inexpensive to buy. May be intimidating to new users to understand how to set it up and use it, but true of most DAW software packages.
- A mic stand so you don't hold the mic while recording. Depending on how you think you may use the mic, either a floor stand or deck top.

I recently bought a mic which has a Beta58 capsule in it. I tried some recording with it and to my ears it seems to be a bit of a bright sounding mic for recording on my voice. I bought it for live performance and it works well for this. I don't have the SM58, but I would believe if it's similar to my SM57, might be a better choice for recording vocals and not as bright sounding.

Now, I don't want to confuse you further but there is another microphone option. A Small Diaphragm Capacitor (aka condenser) such as the AKG P 170. Such microphones have about 3 times the sensitivity of the SM58 (10dB) and thus solve the noise issue. They are comparable in price.
You will be told that a "condenser" will pickup more room effect but that is something you have to deal with anyway.
Dave.
Dave, I've seen you mention the P170 a few times. How does this mic do with proximity effect if one gets in close to it similar to as one would with a dynamic such as an SM58? I haven't used any condenser SD pencil type mics for vocals, so I don't know if having a small diaphragm reduces the proximity effect compared to an LD type mic.

Did we cross QWERTYs Mark?

No, "we" did not ask about OP's computer but I assumed he had something and just about anything made in the last 10 years will run 2 tracks at 24 bits 44.1kHz (he does not know Jack about latency and ***t...YET!) Yes, it will need a USB 2.0 port but, been around a while?

As for a DAW, I mentioned Cubase (yes, tricky I know) but he could give Audacity a go? Since latency will not bother him at this stage AFAWK, ASIO drivers not needed.

Dave.

You said "home use" in your original post, that means to me you don't need any wireless kit and since you want THE best sound quality any wireless system is going to degrade the signal a bit, although the really expensive stuff is close to perfect.

Interface then? Lots of people rate the Focusrite 2i2 and yes, it is a first class device but the Steinberg UR22 is slightly cheaper and, IMHO gives nothing away to the 2i2. The UR22 has a bit more microphone gain and by all reports I have seen very low noise, qualities you need for a dynamic mic. Mind you, almost any modern AI will be fine for lusty singing but you did mention "acting"? If that includes "intimate" speech you will need a good. low noise system.

So, mic + UR22 ~e200, that leaves a goodly chunk for cables, stand, even a modest set of headphones. You have not mentioned recording software but the UR22 comes with some. Cubase. Where are you in Europe?

Dave.

Thanks, Dave. I live in Budapest, Hungary now. So, it would be perfect if I buy Shure M58 and Steinberg UR22 or AKG P 170 and Steinberg UR22, is that correct?

Greetings!

Dave, I've seen you mention the P170 a few times. How does this mic do with proximity effect if one gets in close to it similar to as one would with a dynamic such as an SM58? I haven't used any condenser SD pencil type mics for vocals, so I don't know if having a small diaphragm reduces the proximity effect compared to an LD type mic.

To be honest Mark..I don't know! I bought two (not a MPr) mainly for acoustic guitar and only mentioned the SDC as a possible solution for noise. Capacitors, especially SDCs also give a flatter, wider response than dynamics, more "hi fi" and accurate result (not that that is always desirable)

Proximity effect is a consequence of any directional microphone, reagardless of the "motor" but some show it more than others I understand.
I shall dig out a 170 (actually mine are 150s but essentially the same mic) and try croaking at two distances. Oh! You LAKKY people!

Dave.

Thanks! And is this enough to start recording?

Closed back headphones if you're going to track vocals along with a backing track. In the DAW you play back the music backing track while listening to it with headphones. Your vocal is recorded to new separate track. Closed back headphones are designed so that very little sound 'leaks' out that the microphone might pick up and mix in with your new vocal track. Do not use speakers/monitors while tracking vocals.

Back