How to save tracks on O2R to mix and master with pro-tools?

db51

My band is going to be recording soon in a studio based around a yamaha O2R console. At the same time, my university gives me free access to a machintosh pro-tools system, so I'd like to do the mixing and mastering myself (to save some money, I'm a student :-)). Is there anyway to save the recorded tracks from the O2R on a zip, jazz, cd or whatever to be able to take it to the pro-tools studio for the mixing? What are the pros/cons of doing this

Thanks

Hmmmmmmmm...

Your question seems to suggest that you are not terribly up on all the stuff about computers and mixing and what not. First off, the O2R is a digital mixing board, not a recording machine.

This is a question that would be better suited for the studio you are going to record at. You will probably need to find out just what all your options are for getting track in the ProTools system. That will dictate whether the studio you are recording at has the capability of giving your the individual tracks on a format that will interface with the ProTools system or not.

This seems like a weird combination. You are going to track at a studio, but mix it yourself. Usually this game is played the other way around, the artist records it and takes it to a studio to have it mixed and mastered. I will not comment on the many potentials of inexperienced mixing engineers messing up perfectly good sounding tracks a professional recorded.

Anyway, check with the studio about how they might be able to help you with this. Hell, I don't even know what recording format you are recording too, so nobody is going to be able to help you with your question until we know that....

Good luck.

Ed

Well, the thing is we I can't afford to pay for a proper mix. The idea is to record for cheap 3 or 4 songs in one day. I've done it before, but could only afford to pay for 6h of mixing and mastering, so the result wasn't so good. I don't have any experience to talk of on mixing and mastering with pro tools, but there's engineers at the uni who will help me for free, so I just figured it would be better to mix myself and take whatever time it takes than to pay the studio engineer for a cheap-fast-rush-mix. I understand this is not very usual but I just wanted some input. But yeah, you're right, I'll have to check with the studio.

Thanks

If you can,
Dump your tracks on to any thing that will save them as a .wav like a computer audio card in this studio then import them to PT.

If you can find a friend that has an 001, save the session as a PT and then simply import it as a PT session.

The only other choice you have, is to record it as audio and then rerecord into the PT.

Just remember that transfering from media to media, you might be degrading the quality of your session's going from converter to another etc....

Why not simply record at a studio that own PT (should not be to much of a problem) and transfer the whole session via a cd.

The best solution would be to record in a studio using PT. The problem is I haven't found any I can afford :-(. When I say studio, I'm talking about semi-professionnal studios. The one I have in mind is part off a rehearsing studio complex so it's not a real professional studio, but it's fairly cheap. Anyway I'm just looking to record a demo to pass around among friends; it's not gonna be broadcasted or anything :-). But thanks for your help

another idea

There is a version of a light free PT at Digi's site. if the rehersal studio has a computer you might try to download it and save the session on their computer (if they own one) as a PT session.

Back