Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How to remove annoying backgorund noise? What causes it?

Thanks

How to remove annoying backgorund noise? What causes it?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi!
    I started to build my "home studio", but unfortunately I have an annoying problem.
    I have a Lexicon Alpha USB audio interface, a Behringer C1 condenser microphone, a phantom power for my mic and I have a DELL laptop. I know that these products are not the highest quality equipment but in reviews, I have not read any noise problem.
    I would like to use this "recording studio" to record my acoustic performances (acoustic guitar and vocal) at home. However, I experience a constant background noise which spoils my records. It is not too loud but it is constantly heard and does not change if I go into another room or outside. I would not like to remove it after recording because it would affect on the other sounds in my record...
    Please help me!
    Maybe I need a microphone pre-amplifier in the chain? Or what?
    Thanks in advance for all of your advice!

Thanks
    It's a combination of the cheap gear. If you get yourself a better audio interface with built-in phantom power, you will no doubt find the noise gone (phantom power device + Lexicon = noise)
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    OK, thanks! So I have to buy a new interface and throw out the Lexicon?
    Could you recommend me a better (but not too expensive) audio interface?

Thanks
    Could you post a sample recording? It may help us understand what you’re dealing with. A low-pitched him may indicate a ground loop, for example, which might not be a problem of your audio interface.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry View Post
    OK, thanks! So I have to buy a new interface and throw out the Lexicon?
    Could you recommend me a better (but not too expensive) audio interface?
    I would start at the mic...even if you get a better one, and the background noise is still there, it will be a valuable purchase and remove the mic from the equation.

Then if it is still there...it could be the interface/preamp...it could be the USB, and I assume you're using a laptop...?
    Nothing really bad about Dell...but laptops in general are more prone to electronic issues/noise because everything is all crammed in there.

Finally...it could be simple AC noise, EMI, RFI, ground hum, etc...and it will follow you around from room to room if all the outlets are feeding off the same noisy AC. So another first step is to get a decent power distro box with good quality noise suppression and protection (it's something you should have anyway). They typical power strips you buy at hardware stores are not going to do the dame job, no matter what they say on the packaging.

So good AC distro and noise suppression w/spike protection....then a better mic...and so on.
    You really have to narrow it down to where/what the noise is coming from, rather than just blindly replace equipment only to still have the problem.
    It would help to have something to test against...another mic...another interface or a standalone preamp..etc....that way you can one-by-one eliminate each item.

Thanks
    The Lexicon is basic, and the drivers are quite old and there's no version to work at all on later systems - so it's possible you're using a generic driver for it which won't help. However, my colleague who had an Alpha produced some OK recordings with it and an SM58. Not noise free, but certainly not a hissy interface with no hope. It is, though, bargain basement and a bit limiting not having phantom or being able to record with two mics.

We do need to hear the problem recording though - else we are just guessing.

Thanks
    There are two immediate things that you could try that may help:

Using a gate: setting a threshold of how loud something needs to be before it registers.

Using EQ: if you are getting rumble, you could create a frequency shelf that eliminates low-frequency sounds
    I'm only competing with the person I was yesterday.

Thanks
    We're thinking hiss - but just remembered my colleagues Alpha was plagued with data bus noise - a weird buzzy/whiney - sound that changes very lightly as the computer works hard. Is this what you are hearing? a clip would be great as this data hash is very easy to spot. Damn hard or sometimes impossible to cure. my pet theory is it's carried on the 5V line in the USB from the PC to the interface, and then the interface is poorly designed and cannot filter it out. It is a real pain and wrecks recordings.

Thanks
    I experience a constant background noise which spoils my records. It is not too loud but it is constantly heard and does not change if I go into another room or outside.
    Your problem is pretty general and is only solved by troubleshooting it by removing and/or replacing things until it stops.

Noise can come from anything, not just equipment you use, but form your electric in your studio.
    Things to look form, before replacing and/or taking things out of the signal chain to troubleshoot.
    • Is your studio properly grounded?
    • Are your cables for your studio monitors balanced?
    • Are the Cables you are using have a bad connection (get yourself a cable tester, its a must in my opinion)
    • Are any audio cables near any electric cables?
    • Is your A/C on when it happens
    • What kind of lights are in your studio?
    • What are the S/N ratios for your mics/pre-amps?
    Online Audio Mastering - Online Mastering & Mixing Studio
    Audio Production Blog - Tips & Techniques Explained In Simple Terms

Thanks
    You really need to supply a sample.

Thread Information