Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How to remove annoying backgorund noise? What causes it?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by radi0j0hn View Post
    You really need to supply a sample.
    It's so easy to have something simple to fix that sounds like something expensive. Your electrical power could be missing the earth ground, maybe a power strip that is kind of sub standard, maybe your home's ground isn't really grounded, could be a cord or two that aren't up to snuff, and maybe an electrical cable is laying right on top of an audio cable, or visa versa.

Yes, before you buy anything, assuming what you have is substandard hardware, you need to know if it's something that isn't caused by your recording system at all.
    Music ~ the International Language

Thanks
    Of course it’s hard to say without hearing, but the first suggestion is always to unplug the laptop and run it off battery. Unless your battery is fucked, it’s an easy and free thing to try and very often makes a huge difference.

Thanks
    It could be your room noise too. Using a LDC mic will magnify the smallest of noises.. ex. cpu fan or powersupply fan.

why a lot of HR get into the SM7 type mics, but then that leads to other needs too... welcome to the jungle, kind of thing.

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post
    Using a LDC mic will magnify the smallest of noises.. ex. cpu fan or powersupply fan.
    This again? In 2019? Seriously?

Too quiet source or too far from the mic “magnifies” room noise with any mic. If you can’t hear it in your dynamics, it must be masked by electronic noise.

Try running on battery first!

Thanks
    It still pops up over and over. Microphones alter in sensitivity, frequency response and a few more inconsequential features, but a cardioid with the same pick-up pattern to another cardioid can capture exactly the same sound. Condensers, won't need so much gain, and are prone to overload compared to a dynamic, but you can swap a condenser in the same place to a dynamic and apart from a twist of the gain knob, and maybe a bit if extra hf - it captures the same sound. large or small diaphragm dynamics of condensers all follow the same acoustic rules, the same as loudspeakers do. Something that generates electricity by flapping in the wind. Big things in the way of the wind behave a bit differently to small things, and thicker ones behave differently to thinner ones, but the sound landing on them and moving them is the same sound. It's physics not magic.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rob aylestone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Partially the reason for the never ending posts is its because SM7b and RE20 and SM58 and the like ..etc... are used in noisy rooms in general and in studios when doing vocals in a noisy control room, and the like. (Not many LDC's used live and in announcer booths that are noisy. )

A lot of HR grab a condenser and all of a sudden can hear the fan in the attic spinning and the pc fan sounds very loud, is my personal recall. lol...my first LDC CAD E? was so crazy the huge noise rumbling was in fact the ac fan in the attic spinning and it was a constant noise. Years later reading SM7b articles of Sheryl Crow singing in the control room, Los Lobos in the noisy live recordings, and more..
    I grabbed one and found out about cheap preamp noise because I had to crank the interface USB powered preamp to max to get a signal.

I understand the technical concept of a volume knob cranked up w/dynamic and a ldc with higher output, but theres generally more to the design than just that. ..as someone else said proximity, pattern and design of mic itself.

I'd still think a dynamic is known for less room noise in general and is used in that application. SM7b cage design and pattern and normal proximity of the persons mouth to the mic, is all part of the application benefits, maybe nore so than the sensitivity/db + preamp knob perspective. yeah, there are gazillions of articles on this topic, but in the end, for live noisy rooms and environments dynamics seem to be the choice of most. Why is that? one might ask.

ADD> this thread got me thinking and a Shure SM86 sounds like an interesting fit for HR, noisy rooms but with a bit of polishness, but a tight pattern and design (unidirectional).
    Shure Publications | User Guides | SM86
    Last edited by CoolCat; 06-15-2019 at 06:26.

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thanks
    I have a noisy room, and I have an SM7, an RE320, an SM86, and a 414. The EV and the Shure don't need any additional protection, the 414 does, and the 86 does with lips touching for many people. The 86 has side lobes that can catch you out with the direction of the unwanted noise, and the Shure SM7 is pretty warm lips touching. The Re320 and the SM7 are still in their boxes, the 86 is just a bit thin, so the 414 still does it. Do we need a test - my studio now has for convenience, my editing PC, and it has a pretty noisy fan, so can be heard. If anyone really wants me to, I'd be happy to do a lips on mic/popshield test on all of the mics I have - which could also include an SM58, Beta 58 and even a Coles lip mic if anyone wanted to compare a commentators mic. If nobody's interested I won't bother, but I could record a few examples if people are interested.

Thanks
    Right - here's the video with the mics being used one by one. The recording conditions are explained in the video and in the YouTube blurb.

Thanks
    Yikes! What happened to the vid? I was looking forward to hearing your results.
    I'm getting a Youtube message that says "the account associated with this video has been terminated".

Thanks
    No messages from youtube - it did send me a text message security thing, but I tried and it now seems to work. No odd messages from them, so no idea what's going on? All the other videos are private ones so this is the only public video?

give it a go again - and if it doesn't work, could you let me know by email - roba@earsmedia.co.uk

Thread Information