How to remove annoying backgorund noise? What causes it?

No problem here with seeing the video. Strange that it shows that message for you.

I gave it a quick once through on the computer but didn't have my headphones to give it a real critical listen. Hopefully, I can do that tonight.

Phew - that's good to hear.

I actually destroyed my own earlier views - clearly some of these mics do have different amounts of rear pickup. Far more than I actually thought.

The AKG 414 is the only one that has an annoying rear pickup, and frankly I don't know why that is, and isn't what I expected from it. the background noise from the Coles/STC is of course inaudible because if the preamp noise - the waveform however is incredible low, and the noise floor came up pretty nastily to get it to the same level as the others. it does strike me that none of the main mics actually did badly. The SM58 really doesn't sound awful does it? With a bit of gentle EQ I think it would be very hard to hear differences that could make you know for certain which one is which.

Once I pulled the headphones, it was pretty easy to distinguish the background levels. The Shures were all pretty quiet, followed by the RE320. I don't know that its as much a difference in the "sensitivity" as the difference in polar pattern efficiency which would be a design element. Surprisingly, if you look at the pattern of the Beta 58 vs the SM58 or SM86, the SM actually has better rearward rejection, where the Beta has a node to the back with a narrower soundfield. This is characteristic of hyper and supercardioid mics. You should take this into account when you position the mic relative to the noise source.
tPRIH.png

The other big issue is the overall tone of the voice. For me, the Shure mics were all pretty muddy sounding due to the tremendous proximity boost. The SM86 was the best of the Shures for me by a bit. The RE320 showed a boost as well, but it retained more of the highs and was much clearer. The AKG sounded the best to me overall, but then I don't know what Rob's voice really sounds like. He could have the big booming bass voice in real life!

Of course, in actual use you would back off the mic a bit to control the boost... maybe. I was watching an old broadcast of the US82 festival and all the singers were "eating" those SM57s and 58s.

Don't forget the point was to help the OP reduce the room noise he finds intrusive - so the idea was to find mics and positions to remove as much of the noise as possible. EQ and treatment on a bass enhanced close mic rather than processing to remove the noise and the usual horrible artefacts this creates. I think the OP got bored and cleared off, to be honest.

Could you post a sample recording? It may help us understand what you’re dealing with. A low-pitched him may indicate a ground loop, for example, which might not be a problem of your audio interface.

When you send a sample recording, perhaps you should make it with about ten seconds of "silence" meaning that you have your equipment running so that any sound you make would be recorded, but you aren't adding any sound yourself. Further, perhaps you could record a few seconds with gains such as mike gain, guitar level, etc., turned down all the way so that you are capturing only the "sound floor" which is the minimum signal you are getting. Maybe some of the folk more knowledgeable in this area than I am could then get an idea on identifying the most likely source
of your unwanted noise.

I think the OP got bored and cleared off, to be honest.

lol... maybe he bought an Alexa that could answer faster.

room noise, noise in general making its way to the background of the track... then trying to fix it in the mix with phasey-fluff devices that suck life out of the sound.

I want to mention 3D...because that term has now replaced HD for everything from toilet paper to Spaceships.

3D noise removers?

Maybe he took one of the suggestions and that fixed his problem. Or, maybe what he had was one of those intermittent noises that can cause you to rip your hair out, because you can't find it, then all of the sudden, it goes away.

It could have just been a cord that was "iffy" and when he saw it, he fixed it. Something like that could cause you to shy away from saying what it was. While it's going to cause you problems, you might not even notice it, until you start looking for it.

A plug that has a wire that's not quite solid to the ground, a cheap power strip or even an older 2 prong plug that doesn't have one larger blade, forcing you to plug hot into hot. I've had some of those cheap devices where you can plug it in either way and if you get noise, you just flip it around. It's pretty old, but just something like a lamp that happens to be on the same circuit as your system can do that kind of thing.

I've also found that those spiral florescent bulbs are total crap around any kind of system. Or a Rheostat that controls the overhead lights in a room (for that special mood some musicians want). I once had a rheostat on a room switch and ended up taking it out, because if I dimmed the lights, a nasty hum was produced.

The same for those circular florescent bulbs. When they first came out, of course, I decided to replace the bulbs in my room. I have four bulbs on the walls. Man, did those bulbs sound nasty. And what's really strange is I only had to change one back to incandescent, to get rid of the buzz.

I could end up switching to LED, as they are much better than either incandescent or florescent. They are brighter, take less juice and they don't cause any buzz.

Stumbled on this MXL BCD-1 as cheap as $111 with case, foam...seems to be very serious room rejection.
Obviously copying the RE20 and SM7b family types, but a cheaper MXL version.

this video that does a very good comparison. Check it out at 2:23.

MXL BCD1 - Bing video

Again maybe the OP has a bad mic noise issue? but if it is room noise, something like this BCD1 might work.

I grabbed one with a discount I had, off the $111. ..$54..
I've had the SM7b so I predict the BCD1 will have similar needs.

ADD: price on Amazon is $95 today...so I paid $6 more? they wouldn't price match. Midnight Limited color (probably not selling well)

Attachments

• MXL BCD1.png
    MXL BCD1.png
    488.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I have a Behringer C-1 as well and get the same problem, background noise and hissing.

Rob, all your mics are super quiet. What kind of interface are they plugged into?

I have a Behringer C-1 and on a whim I put it over the center of a drum kit, kind of low, just below the cymbal height, and when combined with the overheads it worked great. No need to worry about noise. Really, it depends a lot on the mic preamp and interface, a Focusrite 18i20 in this case. I used the C-1 in isolation on vocals before, and it's about as noisy as one can expect from a cheaper mic.

Back