How to record using music from YouTube

ladhnur

Hello there -
My name is Nick and am newbie
I hope someone can help me with my question.
What I am trying to achieve is to use the music audio (Karaoke tracks) from YouTube, sing my vocals along and either save the output on my computer's HD OR live stream my mix on FB.

I have already ordered Focusrite Scarlett audio interface (comes with microphone and headset). Would I need any thing else?
How should I connect Focusrite to my PC and what SW should I use to achieve the best results?

If I am posting this question in the wrong forum then please kindly move it to the appropriate section.

Thanks in advance for your help

Regards from the windy City :)
Nick

Which model Focusrite Scarlett will you be using? Solo..? 2i2..? ... ?

Will be helpful to know how many inputs you will have available on the front panel.

Well - there are a number of ways to do it - and you can install a YouTube downloader which will let you digitally download the video - you then of course need to strip off the video. Cubase, that I use can do it quite simply. You can also get specific bits of software that can record whatever goes through your computers output. I bought a DVD tool from Roxio, years ago and it lets you just play the music, and click a button to record the audio.

Once the track is in your computer, load it into your DAW - even free Audacity will do, and sing away using your new interface, which might even come with some bundled software of it's own. Mix to taste, and you're done.

You're also going to have to get used to Youtube's tagging system - they knock you with a copyright claim, meaning somebody else gets any advertising money - because so many karaoke tracks are actually NOT free to use for these purposes, carry as it seems - Singing to them is common - just be aware the person who's tracks they are, might get your money - leaving you with just exposure. I doubt they'll take them down, just grab the dosh!

What exactly are you thinking you'll have trouble with?

I was going for the crude approach. On the interface, connect headphone out to one of it's line ins to record YouTube (may require special cable for this and won't be able to monitor through headphones.. just watch the level meter on computer's DAW). Then disconnect the cable and play the track back while recording vocal - this time listening through headphones.

There is a simple box to tick in Audacity that allows you to record any audio going through a PC. This used to be easy, just record "Stereo Mix" in the internal soundcard but Ms knocked that on the head in Win 10.

There are various softwares that PURPORT to circumvent this but they don't work on laptops such as this Lenovo T510 because it has no audio input at all, just a headphone jack.

f you have the need, shout. Now, the 2i2 is an excellent interface but pretty basic, think long and hard if you might need extra connectivity in the future.

Dave.

Reactions: TAE
If you download the video from Youtube, you can use VLC Video Player to convert it to MP3 format. Once in MP3 format, you can import it into any audio editing program, like Reaper or Cubase. VLC is an excellent video player/converter.

If you want to do it in real time, you can use Audacity. I just tested it and it will capture the audio just fine. The only issue is that it is real time vs downloading at high speed and processing offline.

Instructions are located here.

You can record headphone jack but it will be mono if you are using just 1 cable, I used a splitter, (MiniJack 1/8" > L + R 1/4" for stereo, I had no choice but to rip a song from an App on my Ipad that I was using as the song was nowhere to be found on Youtube, and i've only done this once but it did work great.

You can download any song from youtube by just tapping into google (Youtube to Mp3) it will take you to a 3rd party website, just paste the link and download the track. Don't use a site that asks you to join, or put an E-mail address in.

I have a scarlett 18i20, not sure if you have "FocusRite Control", it's an app. But you have (Loopback) within it, so you can record whatever is running through your PC into a DAW, do not forget to hit mute on your armed track, or it will loop back into itself and you will be in for a shock.

When you sing your vocal over the karaoke track, I wouldn't do it live. Record into a DAW (Audacity if looking for a free option, or Garageband if on Mac) but listen to the backing track through some headphones or an earbud, this way your recording will have no karaoke track bleed. Then you are free to do whatever processing you think you may need to sit your vocal recording into the track as best you can.

Well - there are a number of ways to do it - and you can install a YouTube downloader which will let you digitally download the video - you then of course need to strip off the video. Cubase, that I use can do it quite simply. You can also get specific bits of software that can record whatever goes through your computers output. I bought a DVD tool from Roxio, years ago and it lets you just play the music, and click a button to record the audio.

Once the track is in your computer, load it into your DAW - even free Audacity will do, and sing away using your new interface, which might even come with some bundled software of it's own. Mix to taste, and you're done.

You're also going to have to get used to Youtube's tagging system - they knock you with a copyright claim, meaning somebody else gets any advertising money - because so many karaoke tracks are actually NOT free to use for these purposes, carry as it seems - Singing to them is common - just be aware the person who's tracks they are, might get your money - leaving you with just exposure. I doubt they'll take them down, just grab the dosh!

What exactly are you thinking you'll have trouble with?
I know a lot of excellent video software, short videos are becoming more and more popular, and an easy-to-use tool can get twice the result with half the effort.

You can use a video capture which records what is on your monitor screen. Then put it into a video editor and separate sound from video. Delete the video and keep your sound to file.

Hello there -
My name is Nick and am newbie
I hope someone can help me with my question.
What I am trying to achieve is to use the music audio (Karaoke tracks) from YouTube, sing my vocals along and either save the output on my computer's HD OR live stream my mix on FB.

I have already ordered Focusrite Scarlett audio interface (comes with microphone and headset). Would I need any thing else?
How should I connect Focusrite to my PC and what SW should I use to achieve the best results?

If I am posting this question in the wrong forum then please kindly move it to the appropriate section.

Thanks in advance for your help

Regards from the windy City :)
Nick
Use VideoProc to capture the audio.

Reactions: TAE
Evernnn and Papanate both advise ways that are really easy. I just used Audacity recording a youtube videos audio the other day. I then converted it to MP3 then dragged into a track on reaper for me to do vocals over on another track..easy PZ

Rather than trying to rout things, just download the YT video you want with YouTube Downloader HD. For a 10 minute video, it takes about 30 seconds. Load VLC Player, and hit the convert button. Add the video to the list, tell it to convert to whatever format you want (mp3, CD wav, etc) and hit start. About a minute later, you'll have the audio file. I just did it with the Ava August/Josh Groban duet from American Idol, and it was done start to finish in about 3 minutes. Plus you'll have the MP4 video file if you want to keep it.

The nice thing about YT Downloader HD is that you can put a list of Youtube videos into a queue and hit download. It will pull them down as fast as your download system will go. Do the same with VLC, and you could convert a half dozen files at a time without a problem.

Win key + G . Record. double click. Use menu. Save audio only. Save as .mp3/wav/etc. drag into DAW enviroment.

Last edited:
Back