how to record signal out of computer tru mixer back in Computer

Tikki Masala

how to record signal out of computer tru mixer back in Computer

i want to add outboard fx to my audio out of computer and rerecord it back in the computer with the added fx
the compueter is on a stereo channel of the mixer
if i want to record the signal that comes out of the computer back in the computer then i get feedback wich is normal
now i need to know how i can arrange this
i got 4 buss and 24 channels on the mixer
i use a RME Fireface
any suggestions would be welcome
Thank u all
greetings Tikki Masala

www.myspace.com/tikkimasla

your mixer should have an effects loop. in order to incorperate your mixer into the use of your outboard effects you'd probably have to use this. Going this route will "print" your effects. This is not a "bad" thing, but a lot of people prefer recording dry and adding effects later. If you'd rather do this, you'd probably have to use software based effects. I don't believe one is inherintly better than the other, just different.

To use the effects loop on your mixer; connect your effects processors INPUT to the fx loops OUTPUT. (if you use mulitple processors establish your order and connect the output of the fx loop to the input of your first processor then connect the others by way of patch cables.) Connect the OUTPUT of your processor to the FX return. Sometimes they have dedicated returns and sometimes they have channels that act as returns. You should set your effects output to 100% and control the amount of effects by using your fx loops send control. You will likely have indivual sends on each channel and a master send. You'll have to set both. Since we don't know what mixer your using I can't give you exact details but that's the jist of it.

Hope that helps.

You're not mentioning as to what application you use with the RME. In order for you NOT to get feedback loop, and assuming you are using some kind of a DAW (stereo audio applications such as Audition, WaveLab and the like will not work) you will need to do the following:

In your DAW set up a second stereo output buss that outputs to two unused outputs on your RME.
Connect these RME outputs to a stereo input on your mixer.
Setup another stereo track in your DAW that's set to the inputs on your RME to which the OUTPUTs of your mixer are connected to.
Make sure this audio track in your DAW is set to output to your main outputs.

This way you will avoid the feedback loop.

Back