How much of what you hear on the radio was recorded with a click track

Mr songwriter

....and is it common for timing variations to be added to the click track to change the feel of different parts? I've been playing in bands since before click tracks etc became popular but since I've started recording on my PC, I've started to listen out for these kind of things a bit more and it does sound to me as though a lot of stuff is being recorded with a fairly rigid tempo, presumably because it makes thing easier for the recording engineer when he comes to edit the track. Any thoughts?

Mr songwriter said:
....and is it common for timing variations to be added to the click track to change the feel of different parts? I've been playing in bands since before click tracks etc became popular but since I've started recording on my PC, I've started to listen out for these kind of things a bit more and it does sound to me as though a lot of stuff is being recorded with a fairly rigid tempo, presumably because it makes thing easier for the recording engineer when he comes to edit the track. Any thoughts?

Pretty much all popular music "now a days" is recorded to a click...

For the band I'm in, we record to clicks because it kinda helps during the editing and tweeking stage.

Sometimes we stick to one rigid tempo all the way through and sometimes we create tempo maps that vary right through the song.

But you won't hear us on the radio (well, John Peel played us once but that's about it:))

bigwillz24 said:
Pretty much all popular music "now a days" is recorded to a click...

That was what I thought, though you said 'popular' music, so I'm wondering if there are musical genres where it is not used as much? another thing that prompted me to ask about this was reading this article where they analysed the tempo variations in 'I feel good' by James Brown (though I realise that it's probably quite an extreme example)

tempos.l.gif

Synkroton: I just Googled for 'tempo maps' and found a useful article. Cheers.

a number of devices are used and click is the most common... though often in film scoring a visual cue of a line scolling though the screen will be used to cue important visual moments.

Back