How to/If I should configure Mixer to Interface

evil_tt

Hello,

Newbie to home recording. Need help. I'm going to be recording vocals and guitar. I own an Alesis io2 express interface and a Behringer Eurorack UB802. Will I want to record into the mixer/out into the interface, or record directly into the interface and not utilizing the mixer at all? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20140907_203141.jpg
    20140907_203141.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Forget the mixer. I see nothing useful there. You will get the cleanest recording using the io2 directly to DAW.

Well, maybe if your headphone output on the io2 is weak, you could use it as headphone amp. I have one of those also, and the only reason is for a drummer to crank the crap out of his headphone mix if it wants. Like I do. :)

Thank you, that's helpful. I was under the impression that the mixer will, forgive me, make everything sound "better" so to speak. Smooth things out. But I take it that the mixer is only for recording multiple sources, ^ and also boost headphone output.

Either way, you still only have 2 channels going into your DAW so on the "put the fewest things possible in the signal chain" theory that's served me well for many years, I'd say just go into the Alesis. I think you'll find that setting up your headphone monitoring while recording will be a bit easier on the Alesis as well. The toy EQ etc. on the mixer is something to avoid at all costs.

The only thing you may wish to experiment with is doing an A/B comparison of the mic pre amps just in case the mixer adds something you like to the recording. I doubt this will be the case--I'd guess the Alesis will be slightly better, particularly if you have to push the levels up high but you lose nothing by having a play. FYI, I have an M Audio M Track interface which is the same thing as the Alesis but with a different label--I use it when I don't need the complication of my bigger set up--and am pretty happy with the quality of the pre amps and drivers, especially considering the cost.

Edited to add...Jimmy and I cross posted but, regarding headphone levels, certainly my M Track into 400 ohm cans has enough level to deafen me in any normal studio situation. I guess a drummer or a guitarist with a huge amp/cabinet in a small room might need more but I rarely run mine much more than half way up. I doubt the mixer would have much more level. Yes, you can use the mixer if you need more sources at once but remember, only two can be mics and the others have to be line level--and they still end up as two channels going to your DAW so you're cutting your options to mix.

The Behri mixer is quite noisy. I only purchased it for my drum room headphone control. It is nice that I can send a few tracks out of my DAW to mix in the room, but nothing I would ever use to record tracks with. Just about what would be expected for a $49 mixer.

Thank you for the information. I'm very newbie w/home recordings. I just set everything up this weekend.

Will be recording vocals in my closet. I believe I will need to line closet with deadening foam of some sort (still researching). I own an SM58 (vocals) and SM57 (guitar).

I don't own monitors. I currently running sound to an oldschool CD Player System. (will probably need to upgrade at some point).

Just downloaded Reaper (free version). I'm very green. Will be watching youtube videos this week.

Will attempt to record this week. Any pointers on research I should be doing, the next upgrades I should make, or how my current setup will fail me would be greatly, greatly appreciated. I'm very green, but look forward to picking up on home recording soon. I'll also be doing a lot of searching, so please forgive me for asking basic things that are probably posted on the forums (should find out soon).

20140905_172825.jpg

Don't record vocals in your closet man. Not anywhere near the right approach. An un-treated large as possible room is better than a small treated closet.

Who is still giving all of this lame advice on the internet???? Oh yeah, it never goes away....

Please start researching this forum before you waste money...

There is so much to learn before you spend money man. Trust me, I wasted a few bones myself. You can trust that no nonsense or bullshit is allowed on this forum. If any poor advice is given here , it is quickly broken down for specific reasons by those who know what they are talking about.

Welcome to HR EvilTT! :)

No problem. I note you have a skeleton sitting on your right hand speaker...that's a good start but, as you'll learn if you stay with this forum, you may wish to add a lava lamp. :)

Seriously, the best thing for you right now is to just do some recording and start playing with what you have (ignoring the mixer as per previous discussions. I would NOT dash out and start putting acoustic foam in a closet--enclosed spaces rarely sound very nice. Especially with an SM58 (which is designed for you to stand VERY close and is good at rejecting off axis sounds) your main room is probably your best bet. See if you can stand away from your computer, maybe with something soft behind you and the back of the mic pointed at any source of room sound. In the future you may decide to do some acoustic treatment in the room, but that can wait.

Anyhow, once you've done some recording and decided what you like and what you don't , you'll be in a better position to decide what (if any) your next steps might be.

No problem. I note you have a skeleton sitting on your right hand speaker...that's a good start but, as you'll learn if you stay with this forum, you may wish to add a lava lamp. :)

Seriously, the best thing for you right now is to just do some recording and start playing with what you have (ignoring the mixer as per previous discussions. I would NOT dash out and start putting acoustic foam in a closet--enclosed spaces rarely sound very nice. Especially with an SM58 (which is designed for you to stand VERY close and is good at rejecting off axis sounds) your main room is probably your best bet. See if you can stand away from your computer, maybe with something soft behind you and the back of the mic pointed at any source of room sound. In the future you may decide to do some acoustic treatment in the room, but that can wait.

Anyhow, once you've done some recording and decided what you like and what you don't , you'll be in a better position to decide what (if any) your next steps might be.

Agreed. :)

Jimmy, we've got to stop meeting like this!

Ah well, at least we seem to be giving similar advice when we cross our posts!

^ I appreciate the advice, especially on recording in my room, and the lava lamp.

I have a early 80's mini lava lamp that is nasty and the oil has turned brown. It is just there because...

Bobbsy has posts where he recommends some simple (inexpensive) reflection treatment with simple blankets over PVC pipe frames that I would say are a simple good start for you.

Much better can be done later, but he has a great point of you finding what it is that you have issue with yourself, before deciding what needs to be done.

I can't tell you to spend a bunch of money on room treatment as I don't even know what your goals are yet.

I record full bands in my studio and have different needs. Yours may not be the same. The physics however stay the same for any situation.

You and I are clearly brothers, evil_tt. On some other forums I'm known as Evil Bobbsy or even Evil SpongeBobbsy (hence my profile pic). :)

Back