Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to get that tight, "together" sound

Thanks

How to get that tight, "together" sound

Sign in to disable this ad
    I record mainly heavy rock bands (mine in general) I've been listening to alot of recordings latley and I notice how they sound so "together" everything just comes together so well.

What is the secret here? Mixing? Compression? Mastering? All three? I've got great quality recordings and I don't wanna goof it up with the mixing/mastering.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Mainly has to do with the performance.
    If you have the worst performance then even the best mastering/mixing won't help. Try and get the best performance out of what you got.

If you have a good performance then the other stuff like mixing, compression and mastering will be easier to do and you won't have to do it as much.

Tukkis
    Last edited by Tukkis; 12-09-2002 at 04:15.

Thanks
    A good tight performance is step one. Editing (lineing up things like the kick and bass together, muting quiet parts of tracks, etc, etc) will go a long ways to make a recording sound "tight".

Thanks
    this is weird... I find most of ed's stuff to be true of all bands lately EXCEPT metal bands

"It is funny that many metal bands play WAY over their heads."

Metal bands are the only bands I record that DONT do this!
    Here in AZ, metal bands are usually the most proficient, best students of their instrument, CONSTANTLY practicing, never do that rubber wrist crap with their guitars. They know what direction their pick is going at all times, they dont just hit 7 OR 8 or 9 times when it sposed to be picked 8 times, etc...

Only trouble I have is when they come in with two kick drums instead of a double kick pedal.

Maybe its reversed here...we got crappy grunge and rap bands and good metal bands, and crappy sissy punk bands and good country bands

I wonder if hes not talking about the " smoothness" of mixes, ala the hypercompression he hears on stuff today, instead of a playing thing

Thanks
    Originally posted by sonusman
    most bands are not prepared to do what it takes to get that sound. The ones that do never regret it.
    I did, and I regret it. Now, I've got this uncontrollable urge to wear black, worn concert T-shirts, post pinups of Eddie Van Halen and Randy Rhoads from Circus and Hit Parader magazine on my wall . . . and my girlfriends all look like something out of a trailer park. Thanks a lot, Ed!

Thanks
    A few of my primary bitches have always been:

"why oh why are you in the studio making a recording of songs you wrote a month ago and have practiced only 8 times?" Then they expect people to buy and like it. Good material, in my opinion, should have a years worth of tweaking behind it. Bands that write 10 songs for a CD in a month and try to record it a month later very often dont have one good tight song to record and spend more time talking about the band than practicing.

"turn the gain down you moron!" <--- my biggest complaint

"put some mids back in you moron!" <-- tied for biggest complaint

and

"lets do this to a click so I can edit it later. You dont want to? Oh, you mean you can't admit that you can't do it? Ok, so no much-needed edits for you."
    Peace!
    Paul

Thanks
    man 100 % tubedude!

especially the last one. "the click takes away from the feel of the song"

well, yeah, MAYBE, if you could play it RIGHT, but if you cant even play it, where is the feel ????

Thanks

Talking

Yo Spinner:

Lots of good reading in the responses. My first thought when I read your "tightness" post was this:

PRACTICE PRACTICE & PRACTICE.

I remember once I saved some money as a kid and saw a Spike Jones concert in Chicago. Some great musicians in his kinky band. But, I got to the theater early and from the closed doors I heard the band "rehearsing."

They had probably been on the road for six months and they were rehearsing.

I went to a M. Ferguson Jazz concert and marveled at the youth of the band; before Maynard came out and started the show, what was the band doing? Practicing little riffs and parts of the show they had probably done 400 times.

Tight band= Talent and Practice.

Green Hornet

Thanks
    Sorry guys, I didn't mean tightness as a band. We are very tight (I know, you probably don't believe it) but we've spent months and months of practice, and I'm blessed to be in a band with musicians that are this talented.

I'm happy with the recordings, quality wise and performance wise. There isn't a single sound that is out of place or anything that any of us are unhappy with. We are all perfectionists, and don't pull any of that "ah, it sounds ok" crap. We want it to sound GOOD.

What I'm talking about is just how everything seems to mesh together, I guess it's all about good mixing and mastering, alot of stuff I hear is over compressed these days but it seems thats what people are used to when it comes to heavy music.

Thanks for the replies, I'll get some mp3's up soon so you guys can rip us apart

Thanks
    AHA

see thats what I thought he was talking about too... but anyhow

spin, just as a REAL quick experiment, stick a compressor across the whole mix. Set the ratio to like 4:1, attack about 50mS. Figure out the tempo of the song and set the release time to 1 measure - 50mS start lowering the threshold and see

just a general idea, lets ee how you fell about it

Thread Information