How to effectively simulate bass guitar with MIDI keyboard?

Now see Jeff, I am a touch opposite to you with jazz. I am ok with "straight" singers, Ella F say but not those that keep "anging it out" as the L.G. Ken Williams said. I have theory!

Growing up I ran home each day from school for lunch (but WE called it dinner!) The radio would always be on and I soaked up all the standard songs of perhaps over a decade from say 1958-1968+ and even before that I would have heard them at home. These were staight, original songs. Stardust, Mack the knife and many others. In fact I used to boggle my son when he was in his 20s (now 46) and starting to explore jazz because he would play the "Jango" chords and not know the original piece. I did though! And ususally most of the lyrics.

So...When I hear any jazz, no matter how "off the wall", if it is a standard I can follow it in my head (but most of the words have gone now. Like many an old fool, I THINK I know it but no, it's gone. But then, how many people ACTUALLY know Stardust?)

Dave.

Hi.
I have a great news to you: Ujam has finally come up with a replacement to the old Steinbergs virtual bassist: UJAM Instruments | Virtual Bassist | ROYAL, ROWDY, MELLOW | NEW
I preordered all three of them and all my "bass-problems" are long gone...

Have fun :-)

-einar-

Ha! Just yesterday I found Ujam's ad in p125 Jan SoS and was going to report it. I was going to give the trial a do but I don't need another 6.4G on my hard drive for something I shall not use!

Will clips be forthcoming?

Dave.

Ha! Just yesterday I found Ujam's ad in p125 Jan SoS and was going to report it. I was going to give the trial a do but I don't need another 6.4G on my hard drive for something I shall not use!

Will clips be forthcoming?

Dave.

Hi. "Will clips be forthcoming?"... was this for me..? I dont understand....

-einar-

seeking,

I would still encourage you to at least watch the YouTube video I mentioned in thread #52. I believe you'll be amazed at what you may glean in song construction overall, and the bass specifically (as Rick Beato insightfully explores all parts), just from that one video. Once you realize how beneficial it is, there are a range of deconstructed songs from many genres under What Makes This Song Great at Rick Beato's site--your simulated bass playing will take on new dimensions I assure you.

The choice is yours, of course: You can simply fill in the sonic bottom and keep time with the bass software or come to recognize that the bass can be orchestrated within a song's construction--allowing for interplay melodically and completing chord structures of other instruments among other things.

I'm not suggesting in depth study, just absorbing possibilities.

Best of health in 2019, JeffF.

Last edited:
I like this new turn - but I'm left thinking that over the years, there's been a huge increase in home recording by non-musical people. Pattern based technologists, that are often mega creative but score bugger all on the musically competent scale. I've been playing bass instruments since I was 8 and have been amazed by those people who simply cannot play a bass, or guitar. These people usually got told to play bass because it's easier, which frankly I've always thought was a joke. Equally I've recorded a guy with a diploma in clarinet, who could open his music and sight read the most amazingly hard stuff - yet this guy when I asked him for a bit for level couldn't play anything as he'd left his music in the car. My mouth dropped. Play anything, doesn't matter what! No - he had to the car and get music to just give me 30 seconds so I could set the gain.

What about the bedroom DJs? Are Technics 1200s musical instruments, if so DJs are musicians. if turntables are not musical instruments, they're not DJs - but an awful lot of them seem to make music successfully.

Finally, on this Christmas morning, "home recording" is this audio waveforms only? VSTi and synth/sampling isn't home recording? Is the end product - the recording only valid if it was played by real people? If somebody spends hours programming a bass part that sounds as good or better than a real bass - that's not recording?

I agree. What matters is the final product. How you get there is optional. It's different for everyone, and there's no "right" or "wrong" way.

There's nothing wrong with utilizing MIDI, VSTi's, plug-ins, etc. to make music. These are the tools of our age--why wouldn't we avail ourselves of them?

Did some composers refuse to switch from harpsichord to piano when the pianoforte was invented?

I remember how Boston proudly refused to embrace synthesizers, insisting on sticking with their Hammond organs (they finally abandoned this stand after about 18 years of stubborn fealty to the past).

Computer tools are just the latest in a long line of musical innovations throughout history. They're no more "fake" than the electric guitar was "fake" because it wasn't acoustic.

Last edited:
Back