Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: How to effectively simulate bass guitar with MIDI keyboard?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    yeah. sometimes a thread can go off on a tangent.

Thanks
    I've found the scarbee bass useful for a few songs, but it's strengths are for funky bass with octaves and high twiddly bits where the mod wheel works brilliantly. It's not going to ever sound very bass guitar like outside the funky, high area.

There are some useful bass sounds in my Kontakt package in the band section that work for me better. The really important thing is to just try to emulate what actually happens when you play a real bass guitar rather than a keyboard - as I mentioned in post 2 or therabouts. It's the gaps, the differences in tone between notes in a phrase and I know that as a finger player rather than pick, I can change between mellow and hard notes one after the other sometimes. One of the first bass tracks I did that didn't sound like a pretend bass was a cover of "Final Countdown" years ago. The bass part is a rhythmic piece that has few real different notes but loads of accents, pushes and what sounds like quantise but isn't. Well worth looking at if you want to practice a keyboard vs real bass. In fact, this is the only one I can think of where my real bass sounded worse - with fingers or a pick (not that I've ever been good with a pick).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rob aylestone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Buying a bass is definitely a long-term goal, but for financial reasons I can't yet do that. (Same with guitar, which I would like to buy but can't yet.)

Basically I have a tiny little studio in my bedroom, with a MIDI keyboard and a couple of mics, and that's all I've got to work with right now. So I have to figure out the best way to get my MIDI setup to sound like real instruments.

Thanks for the suggestion though!
    I'd say for now make music that is within the range if the current skills you have and equipment.
    Have fun with that and save up money. Then get a real bass, real guitar, etc.

Wasting time to get midi to sound like a real bass is just that. Wasting time. No matter how close you think you can get, 5 years down the line you'll cringe at how unrealistic it sounds.
    Do some electronic music that your gear is capable of and have some fun.

Oh ps, quit being so stubborn. Open your heart and soul to the magic of stringed instruments

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RFR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I can see I'm going to get more of these kinds of comments, despite what I said about not being able to do a real bass. So I've amended my original post, to hopefully filter out these comments.

They're good comments, and well-meant, but they're not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for MIDI suggestions only. Thanks!
    Cool man. I wish I had better idea for you. I just don't do that kind of stuff myself.

Sorry if we misunderstood and jacked your thread.

Cheers!
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    I can see I'm going to get more of these kinds of comments, despite what I said about not being able to do a real bass. So I've amended my original post, to hopefully filter out these comments.

They're good comments, and well-meant, but they're not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for MIDI suggestions only. Thanks!
    Well...you have to accept the fact that everyone is saying what they're saying for a reason...that there really aren't any special suggestions to making a MIDI synth bass sounds like a real bass. You just hack at it and try to get something close, which is what you've probably been doing already, and you find it's just not quite right.

Also realize that we've all been where you are...and we've at one time had our reasons why we just couldn't (at that time) go the real bass or real guitar route, same as you...and we kinda lived in denial up to a point, often using our lack of budget to legitimize it...but eventually we all had to face it.

I'm only saying that because you maybe seem to think that we're derailing your thread somewhat, and by clearly stating you only want the MIDI/synth advice, somehow new suggestions that work will surface...but I don't think they will.
    You're always going to get kinda close, but never quite a real sounding bass....and then you'll probably go the next route (which many here have), and you'll try to mask that not-real bass sound with other elements in the mix...etc...but it always keeps nagging at you!

Really...we've all been there...and where just trying to help you get over that hump and on the path that will work....and no one is looking to derail your thread or anything like that.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    Well...you have to accept the fact that everyone is saying what they're saying for a reason...that there really aren't any special suggestions to making a MIDI synth bass sounds like a real bass. You just hack at it and try to get something close, which is what you've probably been doing already, and you find it's just not quite right.

Also realize that we've all been where you are...and we've at one time had our reasons why we just couldn't (at that time) go the real bass or real guitar route, same as you...and we kinda lived in denial up to a point, often using our lack of budget to legitimize it...but eventually we all had to face it.

I'm only saying that because you maybe seem to think that we're derailing your thread somewhat, and by clearly stating you only want the MIDI/synth advice, somehow new suggestions that work will surface...but I don't think they will.
    You're always going to get kinda close, but never quite a real sounding bass....and then you'll probably go the next route (which many here have), and you'll try to mask that not-real bass sound with other elements in the mix...etc...but it always keeps nagging at you!

Really...we've all been there...and where just trying to help you get over that hump and on the path that will work....and no one is looking to derail your thread or anything like that.
    Well stated Miro.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    yeah. sometimes a thread can go off on a tangent.
    and besides, playing bass is so much fun....

Thanks
    Simple parts with a lot of eight notes work best. Notice the placement of the MIDI note relative to the subdivision. The bass can lean ahead, lay back, or play right on the money. Don't program all the notes the same velocity. Mix it up. Listen to the dynamics in a real line and make the louder notes louder. Keep it simple. Techniques like slides rarely sound realistic. Use a basic P bass or J bass patch. I always liked quicker decay on the notes, to give the notes a thud.

Try that. The better sounding your patches or sample (I never tried those), the better your results will be I imagine. The lower the bass in the mix, the less the MIDI bass will call attention to itself.

Lots of great music has been made by embracing the MIDI-ness. I had a blast programming with external sound modules in the 1990s and early 2000s, before I ever heard of samples.

Have fun.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    and besides, playing bass is so much fun....
    Yeah...for sure.
    As much as I'm a guitar guy...every time I pick up the bass to cut some tracks, I always have fun playing it, though it's sometimes a bit of work to get it right, since I don't play it enough.

There was a local Blues/Rock band recently looking for a bass player...and I was giving it some thought, that it could be fun, and at the same time free of that "guitar player" thing that kinda hangs over you...where playing bass, you just hang back a bit and groove.

I also notice that a lot of bass players end up being good producers in the studio. I think it's 'cuz they're simultaneously groove focused but also aware of the melodic stuff, and they usually don't bring a lot of ego to the table (unless you're Gene Simmons )...where guitars players will focus on being "THE" guitar players.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    I had to smile so much when I read the posts above. Are we really suggesting that somebody who has never owned a real instrument should BUY one and use that, even a cheap one, because that will sound better? The people who can play a real bass will understand the fact that a real instrument, even a poor one, can sound great with a bit of treatment, but the key feature in this approach is being able too play the damn thing well - and if you can't or have never tried but maybe, just maybe, have the talent for it - you might discover you are a terrible bass player. When you are a reasonably good musician, then key switch sample control is an excellent system, but some people cannot do it properly.
    That's my view too. I can play bass, but not brilliantly, perhaps not even "well". I think this backs your argument to a small extent. Sometimes, I'll play the bass, covert to midi and then tidy up the errors and it does the job. Other times, I write the midi directly with no "pre-playing". When doing the latter, I use my knowledge of actually playing bass to rule what I do. So not three octave slides, no notes the bass can't play, hammer ons and pull offs and short slides etc etc.
    So far as the midi is concerned, it helps to have a really good bass sampler, my go to being Trilian.

And the result. The bass player I admire most, a man who has played Upright/double bass on thousands of world hits heard one of my tracks and tweeted to me that there's nothing he likes better than a good tune with nice mandolin and a "really well recorded double-bass".

I told him it was Trilian, and he said he'd have to be more careful in what he said.

Thread Information