How do you get that rap delay effect?

so.so.young

Like in Soulja Boy's Turn My Swag On whenever he says up?

Thanks I am running pro-tools with not a lot of extra plug-ins

I dig triple tracked vocals on hip hop and panned around -25 0 and 25

Also sometimes I mult-tap stereo delay or 15 IPS tape delay

The temptation here is amazing, but I shall resist. I honestly didn't realize that was an artist. I thought he was like a viral video gone way too far.

I have never heard this delay style, but you can find some amazing free plug ins that come with some really great delay presets. If your looking for DUB style delays and the like, then this will help. You dont need the presets to achieve delay patterns, but it might help in this case.

Search for free delays at kvraudio.com + dontcrack.com.

I Googled the song and listened for the part you are talking about. I think you can get the same effect with just about any delay plugin and the appropriate delay time and feedback settings. The key here, in my opinion, is to make a copy of the phrase "up" or "what's up" and place the copy on a separate track at the appropriate time. Put the delay plugin on the second track. That way your original vocal track is has no delay - it just pops up on the phrases you are concerned with.

I'm not a professional recording engineer, but that's what it sounded like to me. I think it's pretty simple and you should be able to get a handle on it pretty quickly.

Good luck.

The key here, in my opinion, is to make a copy of the phrase "up" or "what's up" and place the copy on a separate track at the appropriate time. Put the delay plugin on the second track. That way your original vocal track is has no delay - it just pops up on the phrases you are concerned with.

Or just use automation..........:D

Or just use automation..........:D

You know, I can't seem to settle on a good workflow for doing that with automation. I would love to know what your approach is.

If I route the main vocals to a delay and automate the fader on the delay track to go up and down when I want delay then I hear previous unwanted words in the delay and I don't get to hear the tail unless I accept more unwanted words following the delay.

If I automate the bypass on the delay and leave the volume fader on the delay track alone I can trim off the unwanted previous words but I still get the new ones I don't want in the tail.

I could automate the send so that the send turns on at the beginning of the word and turns off at the end and that would probably give me the sound that I want but then I feel like I would forget that the automation is there and it would cause unwanted side effects later. I tend to take long breaks (weeks sometimes) between sessions and it's hard to remember things like that. The special track for the "spot effects" is always visible to me.

How would you suggest doing it? I'm just making this stuff up as I go along!

. The key here, in my opinion, is to make a copy of the phrase "up" or "what's up" and place the copy on a separate track at the appropriate time. Put the delay plugin on the second track. That way your original vocal track is has no delay - it just pops up on the phrases you are concerned with.

Good luck.

That's how I do it.

Back