Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do I use focusrite interface and garageband with visual video for putting on yout

Thanks

How do I use focusrite interface and garageband with visual video for putting on yout

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hoping somebody can help with this as it's driving me crazy. I've been playing acoustic guitar and singing for a while now and have a number of cover versions. A year or so ago I started recording myself playing and singing with my mobile phone but the sound quality is pretty awful.

My voice sounds ok but my guitar has an awful muffled sound so clearly a mobile phone is not a good device to record music on.

Somebody on YouTube advised me to invest in a DAW system so I went and bought a focusrite interface. I have a mic, my guitar and headphones plugged in to this interface which is hooked up to my MAC computer. I've been using software called garageband. So I've done some recording of some of my songs and the song quality is excellent. It really sounds like a professional recording.

Now this is the bit that I can't get my head around. I would like to get this on to my YouTube channel but obviously all I have at the moment are audio files within the garageband app with no visual of me playing them.

What I would like to know how to do is how I would video record myself playing so I have a visual video of me playing but with the sound quality of the garageband recordings?. So viewers looking at the video on YouTube can see me playing but instead of the awful sounding video recordings I did on my mobile phone, the audio they hear is the garageband quality professional sound.

The MAC PC I have is a MAC mini hooked up to a monitor which doesn't have a webcam but obviously I can buy one and connect it. Do I need a webcam? Does this hook up to the garageband app somehow? Do I need to take the headphones out of the interface and hook up speakers instead?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really want to start getting my YouTube channel going and start uploading my acoustic covers but don't want to put the mobile phone recordings on there as the sound is poor.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    There are a number of ways of doing this.

Seeing as you are now getting good quality audio from your set up, record your songs using that, and at the same time, use your camera to record video.

You should then be able to import the video into your computer, and using a video editor, add your good recording and remove your phones audio.

Thanks
    There are several ways to do this, primarily either perform it live or lip sync. Lip sync will let you focus on getting the audio right then getting good video, but it might not be somewhat fake if you can't lip (and hand) sync it perfectly. Recording live is more realistic (because it's a real performance) but then you have to get the vocal, guitar and visual aspects right all in the same take.

Either way you'll record the video and audio separately then merge them in a video editor by replacing the audio in the video with the audio that's been properly recorded and mixed. The audio picked up by the camera can guide your placement of the finished audio.

Your project would look like the three bottom tracks in the attached image. My project has multiple cameras so it has a bunch of extra tracks yours wouldn't have (unless you get more cameras). The relevant tracks are channels 8, 9, 10: video, the finished audio (mixed in a different project) and the camera mic audio.

video-project-2-png

Thanks
    You can actually take the video with your phone, if it has a decent camera and the lighting is Or, if you have access to a DSLR or good digital camera that has the ability to take HD video, that might be better, though a new iPhone or Pixel can take pretty amazing video. However you do it, you get the video from the device - SD card if a camera/camcorder, or transferred to the Mini via the Photos app, whatever you've got. (You can do this via Dropbox, i.e., wirelessly, but it can be very slow.)

While you are videorecording yourself playing, you capture the audio. I recommend 48kHz/24-bit recording. Do your mixing/FX, whatever, in GarageBand. Export the song in uncompressed format.

Now, you can either add the movie file into that GarageBand project, and replace the audio file right there (which I've never done), or you can use iMovie (may be on your Mini already, or install for free). I recommend creating an iMovie event/project with the video file because that will give you the ability to add titles, FX, etc. Then, when you have the movie created, you can import the exported song you mixed in GarageBand, and simply align visually (look at the wave form of your recording and the one of the soundtrack in the video). When you have the sound sync'd, delete or zero the volume of the video soundtrack. I'd Share the movie to iTunes or disk and preview/review it several times and when you are satisfied it's good, upload to YouTube.

You should be able to find YouTube videos showing examples of this. (I did several of my first videos this way.)

iMovie will take a little getting used to. Just like audio DAWs, video project editors have their own workflows and sometimes confusing technology.

Note, video is pretty demanding on the system. It will help to close down all your other apps when doing video editing.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Many thanks for the quick and detailed replies guys. The penny has now dropped! I can transfer the video recording on my phone onto my Mac mini via USB. I've done this before with general videos. I have a OnePlus 6t which is a modern high spec phone so the picture quality is good enough.

Just need now then to work out how to take out the audio recording and replace it with the audio that was properly recorded with the focusrite interface on garageband.

Is this easy to do? Can somebody please post a YouTube link tutorial.

As I have a MAC is iMovie the best one to use?

Keith Rogers what do you mean by 48khz/24bit recording? Is this a setting in garageband?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescy10 View Post
    As I have a MAC is iMovie the best one to use?

Keith Rogers what do you mean by 48khz/24bit recording? Is this a setting in garageband?
    iMovie is free, and works. The latest version has a lot of the features of Final Cut Pro X.

I just checked and you can only set the 24-bit (bit depth) in the Advanced preferences, and it probably has defaulted to that. 48kHz is the sample rate, but it does not appear to be something you can set in the application. You might check to see if it's controllable via software that came with the interface. (44.1kHz is the "standard" for CDs and music, but video typically uses 48kHz because of the video framerate, though I've never had a problem syncing 44.1 on those occasions when the setting got reset and I didn't notice!)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescy10 View Post
    Is this easy to do? Can somebody please post a YouTube link tutorial.
    Here's one. There's lots, and probably better.

I suggest learning to search in YouTube - you will need it!

Thanks
    Syncing audio to video is pretty easy. You basically zoom in and match the good audio to the camera audio. But I like to fine tune the good audio against the video for optimum results. Sometimes the audio recorded with the video is slightly off from what look/sounds right to me. In the attached image you can see a slight offset (about equal to one frame or 1/30 second) between the good audio and the camera mic audio.

Here's a trick. You've probably seen film or video production depicted (in film or video) where they have that chalkboard with the thing on top that slaps down. It's called a clapper board. You can get the same effect just by clapping once on camera before the take. Then you'll have a visible (in the video and in both waveforms) and audible reference point you can easily match up, a sharp peak in both audio files.

v-sync-png

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bouldersoundguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Keith Rogers. When I go to share and then export song to disk there are options coming up. ACC, MP3 and AIFF and then 4 quality options in the quality drop down. Which ones should I choose? There is also a box underneath that says export cycle area or length of selected regions (if cycle is turned off) Should I tick this box? Also how do I physically remove the audio from the video and replace it with the garageband one?

Thanks
    I'm finding that the audio from the mobile video sounds significantly louder than the garageband file which sounds way too quiet and there doesnt seem to be a way of turning it up. It's odd because when I listen to the garageband file with headphones on through the focusrite interface it's much louder. Any suggestions?

Thread Information