How do I start?

Medabots

Hello everybody! as you can see Im new in here and I have couple of questions.
I would like to have a little studio at home (in my room) nothing professional, just something to record and edit, you know, just the basic stuff. I already have the motivation but not enogh knolege. so here is the question, what are the basic stuff that I will need in order to make music at home? I bought a four chanel mixer, a mic, I have a keyboard and I think I will get a sequenser. I just want to know a good set up to make everything work nice and easy.

well, thats everything I needed to know... note: it does not matter how primitive the set up is, as lon as I can make music I all set.

Ill record it in my pc, hopefully I could put it in a CD or something.... but if is easier on tape I dont mind doing it that way... what do you think?

Medabots said:
Ill record it in my pc, hopefully I could put it in a CD or something.... but if is easier on tape I dont mind doing it that way... what do you think?

I think a lot of us, myself included, started on tape to learn the basic techniques of recording. Although, this was most likely due to the fact that home digital recording at that time was either unheard of or unaffordable.

I'm a big supporter of the analog medium, however I exclusively record to my pc these days. I still have a tascam 464 to keep me honest.

Whatever you decide, best of luck.

Just in case you haven't discovered this link in another post, http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm I'll post it again. There is lots of useful info about gear and tips for how to use it. Myself and number of others frequently recomend it to anyone new to recording. That said, welcome to the forum. When you run into problems post them, be as specific as you can and you will get better answers.

Thanks everyone for the help..!

Im working on FL studio and playing a lot of piano to make beats and stuff, Hopefully Ill be able to record my music. thanks again for the help.
Any personal advise you guyz think will be usefull? I having "Producer Feber".. jejejeje .. you know, the feeling of doing music every minute.

you didnt mention $$$. How much are you willing to spend? I take it you already have a PC you will be recording to. I guess the first place to start would be your audio card and software. most audio interfaces come with a light version of a recording software. The onboard audio card may not give you a clean sound. You may get some buzzing and noise. look into M-audio 44 or emu 0404 both good priced $99. I use the emu0404. Works great for me but takes a little time to get use to.

about $$$, I cant spend too much because I dont have it. Thats why I mentioned "basic stuff", you know, little and simple things to record at home and work on it.... about saound cards and all that, I need to do a lot of research. thanks again.!!!

Back