How do i get hip hop crowd effect?

dcl86

Hey guys, im tryna record the typical hip hop sounding "ayy", which usually sounds like a crowd of people. I'm doin a few takes in different tones..somethings lacking.. any ideas?

Hey guys, im tryna record the typical hip hop sounding "ayy", which usually sounds like a crowd of people. I'm doin a few takes in different tones..somethings lacking.. any ideas?

Record the given parts like 8 or 10 tracks.move some forward or backward a millisecond or two(Nudge)

Do about 8-10 takes of it and start adding reverb/chorus effects play with it till you find what you want.

If you can get other people to do takes too to add variety to the vocal tones, that would help.

Reverb should be your friend here. Increasing reverb makes an voice sound like it's farther away from the listener (especially if you decrease the original sound's volume more than the 'verb's). With a crowd, you're going for a lot of voices far away, so play with reverb (and maybe panning too) and see what you can get.

I have a few samples from a cd that contained sound effects for a pirate movie. But they sounded more like "argghhh" rather than "ayy". Don't know if this would help or not.

Yea, get a few other people to do it, either together, separately, or both (some takes alone, some with the group...)

Group all your takes and send them out to a nice reverb.

Play around with nudging a few takes forward or back a few miliseconds...

Basically follow everything everyone has recommended...except maybe the pirates.. ;)

ay. and record it on a deserted island with nothing be seaturles and the hair on your back. ay, seaturtles...

Wow, the instant I started reading that I read it in an accent. I was reading it to myself too. Weird. Like an accent in my head.

Well, there's my pointless post of the day I suppose.

thanks guys, i've recorded different tones about 8 times and moved em a lil forward n back, sounds aight but still lacking.. i will definitely try some reverb.. thanks.. and 2 u too pirate boy!

myspace.com/freewayboyz

new myspace for DL (Young Dean) (me) will be up soon with new tracks that im workin on..that u guys have helped with

I recorded 5 takes of about 8 different people at different distances, huge hall reverb and panned all over to recreate the "holocaust" for a live cover of Flowbots-Handlebars...worked pretty well.

More Energy

If it does not sound good it probably needs more energy from the artist;. So many times i hear people say its the mic or something, Get it right when recording and you might find it does not need any layers.;)
Good luck!

If you can get other people to do takes too to add variety to the vocal tones, that would help.

This is probably the best way to go.

Not really the answer you were looking for, but on a recent Joe Satriani album he had this track where he wanted to have a whole crowd of people singing along, echoing a guitar line. So, he got 30 people together in a large room, put up a stereo mic set, and had them sing a take. Then, he had them overdub another 9, to effectively turn 30 people into a crowd of 300. this is a little extreme (convincing 30 of your friends to sing "ayy!" over and over again even once is no easy feat), but the basic idea holds - you and two or three buddies could probably do somehting similar.

Back