How can I find bands to record?

keilson

I wasn't sure of the best place to post this. I am still learning and want to find more bands to record. Is there a place online that would be good to advertise for my home studio? I just want experience with as many groups as possible.

Also....In the past I have done production for radio commercials in the Buffalo area. I'm now back home in the New york area and I have friends that do voice overs for my commercials, but would like to find clients. Advice for advertising for this as well?

When tracking the elusive North American Band it's important to understand their feeding and mating habits. A good clue is to look for strippers. If you can find some strippers then there are usually some musicians nearby.

Once you have found an area populated with strippers than you must be patient. Lay out a plate with some weed and a guitar tuner. (The tuner is simply to confuse any bassists that might wander by) When a musician goes for the weed then make your move. But be carefull they are a skittish bunch. Don't look to eager. Any mention of money and they will be gone in a flash. You must use terms like 'creative freedom' and 'ultimate vision' until they are begging for you to record them.

Next week we will discuss how to skin and clean your catch.

Make some biz cards on your pc, and post them up at music stores, cd stores, go check out local bands, hand them out. If you can find the places where bands practice put some cards here and there. Plus when you go to staples or sandwich places they have "drop your biz card in the bucket for a chance to win_____".
Your best bet is to check out local bands, if they dont mention anything about their "cd for $5" during their set, approach them, and say "you guys sound pretty good, if your looking to record a demo, give me a call".

TexRoadkill said:
When tracking the elusive North American Band it's important to understand their feeding and mating habits. A good clue is to look for strippers. If you can find some strippers then there are usually some musicians nearby.

Once you have found an area populated with strippers than you must be patient. Lay out a plate with some weed and a guitar tuner. (The tuner is simply to confuse any bassists that might wander by) When a musician goes for the weed then make your move. But be carefull they are a skittish bunch. Don't look to eager. Any mention of money and they will be gone in a flash. You must use terms like 'creative freedom' and 'ultimate vision' until they are begging for you to record them.

Next week we will discuss how to skin and clean your catch.

That's some funny chit mang! :D I can picture Tex with a big ole' net hiding next to the herb plate behind a Marshall stack, wearing safari gear lookin like the Crocodile Hunter, ready to pounce on unsuspecting artists that happen by! LMAO! :P

keilson said:
I am still learning and want to find more bands to record.

You... and damn near everyone else. The problem is that most people want to record with someone with a "track record", and you can only get a "track record" by working... which is very difficult to do when you don't have a "track record" [kind of a 'Catch-22'].

On the upside... if you happen to run into a band or two that wants to record on the cheap... and you feel like recording them for free or on the cheap... then you can start to build "a reel" and a reputation. With any luck, that reputation won't be for doing things on the cheap, but for doing them well.

Then, if there is a severe accident, one of the bands you record might actually do something... which will give you a "track record" and you'll have people beating each other to book time with you.

Advertise your services. In Seattle we have the Rocket. The Rocket is a free infozine on music, bands and whatever happens to show up. It has personals, bands seeking member, musicians seeking bands, and in the back are advertisements by local studio's, dupe houses, mastering places. The ads are relatively cheap. It also lists places where band are playing so you can actually fish the clubs if your up to beating the pavement. I find it hard to believe that NYC wouldn't have a similar publication.

Typical Ad would be "New Studio Seeking bands to record cheap" put down an hourly of what HS kids can afford and just start working it.

SoMm

detuned6 said:
Your best bet is to check out local bands, if they dont mention anything about their "cd for $5" during their set, approach them, and say "you guys sound pretty good, if your looking to record a demo, give me a call".

That's the best way to do it, ideally.

You have to be able to put your sales weasle hat on and hussle up business the old fashion way. If you're bashful, then get over it.

I would do it different then how detuned describes it, though. If it looks like they have time to talk, then start off by asking them questions. Questions about their gear, if they've ever recorded anywhere, if so then who they've recorded with. Who they'd like to record with and why . . . what kind of sound they're after, who their favorite bands are, etc.

And assuming they have some original material, be sure to compliment them on it. Ask them about how the song was inspired, what it's about. "Artists" love talking about that shit. Their songs are like their kids. They'll probably buy you a beer and talk your ear off if you show a genuine enough interest. If not, then they're probably assholes and you don't want to work with them, anyway.

I've had at least a few guys say to me: "I had never heard of you before, but I decided to work with you because you were interested in my songs, and asked me about the sound I wanted to get. Other guys I talk to don't give a shit. They just want to know how many hours I want to book time with them."

Back