how to bounce tracks properly

metoikos

hey, first my means of documentation is a TASCAM Porta One four track.

my dilemma...i think i'm doing something wrong when i try to buss tracks back and forth because i have inadvertently erased certain sounds and put other tracks together when i really didn't want to and also for some reason beyond my understanding other tracks were duplicated in the process. obviously i'm doing something wrong.

my question...what is the proper way to bounce tracks and by this i mean making certain the correct switches are activated and which pan pots are used and such...

...i'm trying to bounce trk3 and trk4 onto trk2. then bounce a new trk3 together with trk1 onto trk4. but i ended up duplicating the second mix onto trks2 and 4.

is this confusing? am i clear? is this even possible???

thanks in advance...

To bounce tracks 3 & 4 to 2:
Pan tracks 3 and 4 to the right and set them to listen back,
pan track 1 to the left and set it to input,
pan track 2 to the right and arm that track,
hit play then record.

To bounce tracks 1 & 3 to 4:
Pan tracks 1 and 3 to the right and set them to listen back,
pan track 2 to the left and set it to input,
pan track 4 to the right and arm that track,
hit play then record.

At least that is how it is on my machine.

Good luck.

reel buzzer,

by "listen back" do you mean "cue" and use the four cue pots on the right side of the machine?

1) i guess by setting a track to "input" you sort of reverse the signal line and send it in the "opposite direction" (i.e. out of the track) and disable any means of recording onto that particular track...??

2) ...also by panning to the left you move the track "away" from the right busses...??

do these two deductions make sense?

thanx for the info,
it's definitely a BIG help!!

metoikos

Back