Home studio - interface options - help required!

KrispyDK

Hello All,

I'm here for some assistance and advice on my studio setup, please excuse me if I seem a little ignorant on any aspects I mention!

I have cobbled together a home recording setup made up of the following components (mainly things not acquired for the task they're now being used for):

PC with Cubase sx (version 3 I think)
USB inputs(no firewire)
Audiophile 2496 soundcard
Yamaha MD4S 4 Track Minidisc recorder
Audio Dynamics MB2k Dynamic Mic
AKG D11 Dynamic Mic

Active Bass
Strat Guitar
Roland TD12 V Drums
Ashdown bass amp
Peavey Guitar amp.

I am using the Yamaha MD recorder purely as a mixer with it's stereo out RCA's connected to my soundcard. The Yamaha has 4 channels, 2 with preamps and combo XLR inputs but no phantom power. The other 2 channels have 1/4 jack inputs.

Here's where I'm stuck: I'm thinking it's best to replace the Yamaha with a proper mixer or audio interface but am unsure of what to go for. My requirements are for it to be able to record one instrument at a time (guitar/drums/bass/vocals etc). The recording will be done flat with the mixing/EQ taking place in Cubase. I'd also like the option of being able to use condenser mics so phantom power is needed.

I seem to get ok results when mic'ing the guitar amp up with the audio dynamics via the Yamaha but don't really have anything to compare this with. As such, the results may actually be very poor!

I also seem to get good results plugging my active bass directly into one of the 1/4 inputs on the Yamaha.

Ideally, I'd like the option of mic'ing the bass amp and taking a direct signal simultaneously into the PC as 2 separate channels.

So, what can I replace my Yamaha with that will give me at least 1 good quality mic preamp and phantom power as well as the ability to plug an active bass (and possibly the strat guitar) directly into it. Also, is there a way of taking a direct signal from the bass and the signal from it's mic'ed amp into the PC so that I get the 2 signals split into 2 channels in Cubase ready to mix?

So far I've only looked at mixers and I'm unsure as to look at with regard USB interfaces. Budget up to £200 (I guess $300) but the lower the better! I've been looking at the Peavey PV6 or PV8 and the Yamaha MG102C. Heard good things about the PV preamps for the price.

Any advice will be very warmly and gratefully received!

Cheers
Krispy.

As far as mixers its hard to say what's the "best" and whether you want a mixer with an audio interface so you can record more than just the two channels you have with the audiophile sound card.

Here's my advice though, do what you will with it...

Keep the sound card, sell the 4 track mixer and buy a decent 2-channel mic pre-amp with phantom power (or a seperate phantom power unit like the ART phantom) - spend the rest of the money on a good condenser microphone, you will really limit yourself when it comes to vocals if you only have those two dynamic mics.

To take a raw signal from the bass you can just get (or make witha soldering iron) a Y-splitter with one jack on one end and two jacks on the other, put one into the amp and one direct into the pre-amp. If you make it ensure you have shielded you joins properly and you'll be fine.

Record the TD12 over ther Audiophile's MIDI ports aswell as the outputs from the sound module (these won't need to go through the pre-amp) - that way if you decide you want to quantise any of the drums or change the levels you can edit the MIDI file you recorded and play it back through the TD12's sound brain....or connect it to a virtual drum instrument.

Thanks very much for the reply and the advice.

With what you suggest re the splitter cable for the bass, is it possible to take the 2 resulting signals into 2 separate channels in Cubase? Would I need to look at a USB preamp and if so, do you have any recommendations?

Thanks again.

yeah thats what I was getting at, your sound card has two inputs so you can have the raw bass on one and the signal from the mic'd amp on the other. The preamps will go inbetween the source and your sound card to boost the signal (basically doing what your 4 track is doing now but if you spend money on a really good preamp module the sound you're recording will be improved)

Top stuff, thanks for replying again.

One thing I'm still not sure on though is where you say my soundcard has 2 inputs? Do you mean physical inputs? It only has a stereo RCA in - are these the 2 inputs you mean (ie. L and R)?

Sorry for all the questions!

yep - but your bass is mono, so is the microphone, so you can use them as two mono inputs. Go into the connections box in cubase and set up two MONO input channels, one from the left and one from the right.

Yorkshire, thank you very much. It's making sense to me now. And thanks for the advice on setting up mono tracks in cubase. I've always used stereo but you're right, the instrument is mono so why bother? I think I may have to go back and re-record everything I've done so far! I'm an ok musician but a p!55 poor sound engineer!

So, really, I don't need a mixer at all do I as this is all taken care for in cubase. Does the audio buddy connect easily to the sound card? It looks like it has 2 1/4 jacks as outputs so 1/4 to phono leads?

It will probably have 1/4" jacks yeah but any kind of adapter - its made by M-audio so it bloody better connect easily!

Don't go with that preamp just cos I said so tho, its just an example :)

Well, like you say it's m-audio so I kind of trust it. Well within budget too. Plus, if I don't like it, you're far enough away for me not to come and find you!

I'm guessing the same logic could also be applied to my current setup though with regards to sending a direct signal and mic'ed signal from my base to Cubase - if i set up mono audio tracks like you suggest?

On the point regarding the y guitar cable - are these common/easy to find? Would I lose any signal quality this way? Would I be better off with a DI box before the bass amp/pre amp? And if so...passive or active DI for my active bass?!

Back