Home studio drum recording - eclectic, busy music, feedback wanted

Pointed at the beater but not necessarily close(almost never for me). I would put your "inside" mic just into the hole, test, move closer, test, etc til you find the sweet spot. Mine is about 5-6" in. Depending on the mic you will change the tonality by moving it in or out.

But for your kit and description of the style, the 421 is going to give you more 'body' on the snare...

[MENTION=8567]CaveDog[/MENTION] - I really appreciate that you mentioned the style of music we play and my type of kit when answering.

As I wrote at the top, I'm planning to buy either an EV N/D868 or Avantone Pro Mondo for my "good" mic inside the bass drum. Based on my description of the style of music we play, do you have an opinion if one of these - or something else - would be a good choice?

[MENTION=8567]CaveDog[/MENTION] - I really appreciate that you mentioned the style of music we play and my type of kit when answering.

As I wrote at the top, I'm planning to buy either an EV N/D868 or Avantone Pro Mondo for my "good" mic inside the bass drum. Based on my description of the style of music we play, do you have an opinion if one of these - or something else - would be a good choice?

Yes. as I described before...buy the EV N/D868. I did and it has replaced all six of my other kik drum specific mics. I own Audix D6, Shure Beta 52, AKG D112, Audio Technica ATM25, Beyer M88. etc.....

This is pretty cool - if I can't come up with something else, I'm sure I can jimmyrig something like this.

Our stick player just found an old guitar amp in his attic, so we're going to try to rig up one of those speakers.

So you use the subkick outside the resonance head, I assume slightly off to one side and place your "good" mic inside the BD, close to the beater, correct?

This one way to do it. Again I recommend using a DI with a transformer to sort of 'buffer' the output of the sub-kik. It also will give you a true low impedance input to your preamp of choice.

Back