Home Recording's Dirty Little Secret

What were your home recording expectations vs commercial high end studio recordings?

• Total voters
Thats one good example that pro recordings can be made in a home studio.
Today lots of commercial records are at least in part done in home studios.

The difference being in what a "rock star" can bring to the table in terms of gear, building the room, and the talent runing it all.
Plus, like any particular artists music or not, they do have experience both in the studio and on the road.
This ain't no situation of working all day being tired, eating, then banging out some tunes at night all while having to be relatively quiet and hoping for a great result.

End of the Century wasn't/isn't The Ramones' least popular LP & it is becoming better accepted as time passes.
Year Album details Peak positions Certifications
(sales thresholds)
US
[1] CA
[2] NL
[3] NO
[4] NZ
[5] SWE
[6] UK
[7]
1976 Ramones

Labels: Sire
Released: April 23, 1976

111 — — — — 48 —

US: Gold[8]

1977 Leave Home

Released: January 10, 1977

148 — — — — — 45
Rocket to Russia

Released: November 4, 1977

49 36 — — — 31 60
1978 Road to Ruin

Released: September 22, 1978

103 — — — — 25 32
1980 End of the Century

Released: February 4, 1980

44 41 27 36 48 10 14

It didn't benefit from Spector's production and it caused a lot of strain within the band but they picked him for a reason - and it made a difference to promotion/discussion & sales.

Haha, I've always said that Ramones album would be great with proper Ramones production. I like Spector, but that album sounds goofy.

Those tracks exist somewhere. Someone must have them in a box or something. I'd love for Ed Stasium or Daniel Rey to get their hands on those tracks and give that album a proper mix. I'd buy it.

Back