Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Hissing/White Noise

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    FYI. Attached is a garden recording done 26 9 2018, untouched.

The rig is a pair of cheap, 25 Maplin dynamics (one of which seems to be borked!) feeding a Bherry X802 mixer*. That in turn feeds a passive converter to turn video and two audio channels to a balanced feed over CAT5e. In the living room is another CAT converter which feeds a security recorder and then a Freeview HDD/DVD recorder. I edit the results and burn to DVD.

The 2 min clip is transferred from DVD via Audacity to .wav then turned to 320k MP3 in Samplitude...Phew!

The clip is of a hedgehog snuffling about and although noisy you can hear it crunching the dry food? the mics are some 2mtrs away and you can see that the levels are about right because 'noises off' can be heard and hog's clattering pushes to 0dBfs.

*say what you like about Behringer but that mixer has been running, 24/7 for over six years!

Dave.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    As a follow up to this. The weather improved here today so went to try the xy mics and discovered nothing but crackle on recording. So I plugged in my lavier mic into the xy capsule and it was the same.

Does anybody know if these capsules go faulty? I dont know how it could because it hasnt been used for 12 months or more and in plastic case so?????

Thanks
    Other than moisture, its highly unlikely that both sets of mics would go bad. Its far more likely that there's something in the connector of the Zoom. I don't have the replaceable mics on my H4n, so I have never experience that type of problem.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TalismanRich For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ^^^ That's what I'm thinking as well.

Rather than wait for an improvement in the weather, test it out at home. Unplug the XY unit and reseat it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gecko zzed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Couldn't see anything with a magnifying glass so I gave the contacts a clean with surgical spirit and left to dry. Works perfectly now so it could have been damp or dirt. Mystery.

All good so thanks again.

Thanks
    Hi
    I see only now this discussion.
    The first thing you have to do about the noise is discover where does it come from. Disconnecting the microphone is not a good test, because noise raises if you let input disconnected! The microphone at the input acts like a load for a voltage divider for the input noise, then you should test with inputs terminated on a low impedance. Also short circuit is not a good choice (also with Phantom off). because a very low impedance can increase input noise. Then, you have to test input noise terminating input with a 150~250 Ohm resistance. A good one is a simple dynamic mic, like a classic Shure SM58. Connect it to an input (also at the other input, if you have 2 dynamic mics), set volume at 5~6 and hear/measure noise.

Keep in mind that also a simple resistor produce thermal noise, that is about 18.2*SQR(R) [nV], but it is very low if compared to a condenser mic: it is about 0,2uV (microVolt). If a microphone ha a sensitivity of 20mV/Pa (94dB spl), it is 1/100000 (-100dB) of that, then it is like a -6dB spl noise.

Thread Information