Help with preamps and audio interfaces

erreece

Hello. I'm building a new home studio and need some advice about preamps and audio interfaces. Here's my situation: I have five Bellari MP105 preamps from a home studio I had in the early 2000s and will be recording on a Macbook Pro with either Studio One or Garageband DAW. I'm just one guy and will only need to record one track at a time. I do the drum machine, guitars, bass, synth, vocals myself, so there's no need for multiple inputs/channels. I've been looking at USB audio interfaces, but since I have all these Bellaris it seems like I don't need an interface with preamps, unless modern interfaces come with better preamps than what I have. How should I take advantage of all these preamps (chains and what not) and what kind of interface would you recommend? I don't have much money. Looking to spend less than $200. What would be the ideal setup with the equipment I have?

Thanks,
Elliott

The mic preamps in a new audio interface is going to be far better than one of those in the Bellari, at least in terms of noise and distortion. Now, if they do what you like, you can always try one in front of the interface and see how it sounds, but I'd be trying to get $100 for 4 of them and move on. All IMO, of course.

Like many others here, I'd suggest something with 2 microphone preamps. I'm a Focusrite [Saffire Pro 26] user now for a while, and I think they make a good product, but every company is going to have some supporters and detractors - you can't please everyone :). If you get one, make sure it is a V2 in the Scarlett line. (According to Focusrite, the Saffire and Scarlett interfaces all have the same mic preamps, it's only the taper on the GAIN control which is different in the V2s, but it does make them easier to use for most.)

In general, I prefer an interface that does not use bus power, but the downside is that wall-wart, and the fact that externally powered ones may not sleep when your computer does. My previous interface, an M-Audio C-600, failed twice due to heat build-up from being plugged in all the time - fixed once under warranty but replaced the 2nd time. The Saffire (Firewire, not USB) does sleep even though externally powered, plus it has a power switch.

I'd look for something that has direct monitoring just so you can use it if necessary, and balanced line out for monitors. Dual headphone outputs with separate level controls is a nice bonus, though maybe if you're totally self-contained it's not as important. I still like to check mixes on separate headphones, besides the monitors, and having both a tracking and mixing set of cans always there is convenient, at least for my way of working.

5qty Bellari's is worth $250 or more at $50 each low end, maybe worth $500 at $100 each on the upper end.

You have the DAW (Studio One)
Is the Macbook is Thunderbolt/Firewire or USB? That will help determine your selection.

I agree a simple Dual I/O interface should be fine and your cheapest unit, they do make Solo's too which migh be ok.

I would go with a unit with a powered/ wall wart and turn it off when not in use. I have a USB powered and a wall powered and the USB can be starved a bit with preamp gain, although it works, you might want to keep at least one Bellari around for some extra gain if you go USB powered for your Dynamic mics....anything else probably no issue. Actually my son uses a USB powered interface and a Shure 48 with no issues.

I dont think you'll have issues with the interfaces, its more what bells and whistles you want and the driver working. But I dont see many posts about driver issues anymore.

I never planned it but went through a bunch of interfaces and as a odd purchase grabbed a Line 6 and ended up loving the layout and realtime plug-ins that cover Guitars, Bass Guitars and has a Vocal section too with preamps and compressors included.... it was easy too. My sons used it for 7yrs? now...I upgraded to the UX8 and get the free Platinum PodFarm for life and bought the unit used for $175. Neither units have had an issue for over 7 to 10yrs.
I sold all my hardware due to the realtime plugins working ok. Since then Ive added a few outboard, like your Bellari, for tracking and adding a little something on the input.

Hi there what's the most cost-effective preamp to use? A Focusrite with 8 I/Os? Just for starters....1 guitar, keys, 2 mics....

Steinberg UR22mkII | Sweetwater

An alternative to the all conquering F'rites ^ Elliot. You have drum machine and synth, if they have MIDI ports you will kick yourself eventually if you don't get an AI with same. Those little valve preamps seem to be quite good, certainly keep one (quietest one!) for theself.

Just a note about wall rats and insomniac AIs? Three words...Wireless Mains Switches.

Dave.

Hi there what's the most cost-effective preamp to use? A Focusrite with 8 I/Os? Just for starters....1 guitar, keys, 2 mics....

This is a hijack friend. Make a new post and include MUCH more detail! Makes, models, PC/mac. Just you or mates a'jammin? Genre, room size, can you make a bloody row. What monitors do you have?

Dave.

Back