Help - noisy recordings with Rode NT1-a

rotem b

Hi guys.
I'm having some recording issues with my Rode NT1-a: The microphone collect a lot of unwanted sounds in the recording, mainly 'glitches' in the speech (pops etc.).
I'm using Focusrite's basic mixer and recording the sound using Adobe Audition interface. I'm using a pop-shield so it does not make much sense.
The gain level that I'm using is around 50% (from the mixer).
I have added a sample so you can better understand the issue.

Best, Rotem.

Attachments

• sample.mp3
    24 KB · Views: 28
Hi guys.
I'm having some recording issues with my Rode NT1-a: The microphone collect a lot of unwanted sounds in the recording, mainly 'glitches' in the speech (pops etc.).
I'm using Focusrite's basic mixer and recording the sound using Adobe Audition interface. I'm using a pop-shield so it does not make much sense.

Best, Rotem.

That clip lasts barely a second and is no use to man nor beast. Please record 10 secs of speech then shut TF up for 20 so we can hear the relative noise level. If possible, repeat the exercise with a dynamic mic.

And "mixer'. Do you me an an Audio Interface and if so give the model number.

Dave.

I'm guessing 'mixer' refers to the Focusrite audio interface, and 'Adobe Audition Interface' means 'Adobe Audition DAW'.

What Dave said . . . the sample is too short to be very helpful. I heard one click, and that to me sounds like a computer issue rather than a mike issue. Those pops and clicks arise when audio processing is interrupted by the computer deciding to do other stuff.

Hi guys.

Best, Rotem.
Make sure the sample rate in the DAW (what Adobe Audition is) project settings matches how the audio interface (the Focusrite piece) is configured as in the Focusrite MixControl app (or whatever it's called with your model).

As others said, those kinds of noises are not typically hardware problems, but something wrong with the computer - either not optimized or configured properly.

And, it's always more helpful to list the details of your configuration, like specific model of interface, how it is configured, the project settings, especially sample rate, and if you've changed any defaults, like buffer size. Then folks that want to help won't be forced to guess so much.

carnac.jpg

Thanks guys, I have attached a longer sample for you - notice the pops at the end of some of my words.
If you have any ideas, it will be great. Anyway, I will upload the rest of my configuration soon.

Attachments

• sample2.mp3
    458.9 KB · Views: 37
I'll tell you honestly.........aside from a couple of normal mouth noises.....which can be avoided.......I didn't hear anything that especially stood out as far as strange noises.

I also didn't hear any clicks or pops that would indicate an issue like buffer problems, a bad cable, or even high humidity affecting the mic element.

Could it be an issue with the playback of your system. Perhaps put the files on a phone or other computer and play them back to see if what you hear is actually in the audio file.

Like others above, I didn't hear any clicks or pops or other system-type noises. It was a pretty reasonable recording.

I also, just as others did, some mouth noises. You can get rid of these if you want, but there's no real need to.

What everyone else said. Nothing in the recording but you. One very noticeable mouth click at ~16.5s. If you hear something different, then it's in the output side, like possibly just your monitoring setup. Headphones? Level too high?

Hmm? I was going to say that the recording is er, adequate in terms of noise? But if the professionals are happy...

The noise floor if I loop the 'silence' at 5secs is a passing good -55dB fs. So that is a mouth noise at 16,5 secs is it? These old ears did not divine that.

At 0:600 GMT today I did the attached recording. The first waffle is via a Behringer XM8500* dynamic plugged into an NI KA6.
Secondly an AKG Perception 150 with the 10dB pad engaged for close, ~ 50mm talking. Yes! It pops a bit could not be arsed to find a pop filter. All is in turmoil here, got the gas men in.

Recording was done with Samplitude SE8 at 24 bits/44.1kHz then exported as 16 bits and then MP3'ed at 320k. The noise floor is some 20dB better than the OP's. If it twere I, I would be looking for the reasons for the noise?

*Bloody good for £15! Heavy, and a tad more sensitive than a 57. Anyone needing servicable dynamic that might get bashed or nicked, best of the cheap Behrry range. I am going to get a couple more to put in my garden.

Dave.

Attachments

• P150 KA6 6 3 20 plus XM8501.mp3
    4.4 MB · Views: 23
I didn't comment on the noise floor, simply that there weren't any clicks or pops that would indicate a fault. There was definitely a hollow sound, lots of room echo which would not be desirable in a recording. There wasn't enough "quiet time" for me to tell what might be generating the noise floor.

I too found the overall 'tone' rather unpleasant, but couldn't detect any faults with it. The voice, though sounds like it has got a built in compressor - it has no dynamic range at all - very odd to listen to?

You got your answers rotem.

I agree with all of them.

Look forward to you reply and acknowledgement. :)

Thanks everyone, glad to know that it sounds readonable to everyone. My best guess is that this is just a regular saliva noise and indeed I can tell that it changes between different people which I'm recording. The headphones I'm using are very sensitive as well so it might explain why I put so much attention into it. If you have any tips to reduce those noises while recording, I will be happy to know. Good night.

Thanks everyone, glad to know that it sounds readonable to everyone. My best guess is that this is just a regular saliva noise and indeed I can tell that it changes between different people which I'm recording. The headphones I'm using are very sensitive as well so it might explain why I put so much attention into it. If you have any tips to reduce those noises while recording, I will be happy to know. Good night.

Just two minutes ago, faint clicking noises through my Arcam Alpha 6 amplifier in my living room. I had left an old PAYG phone charging above it and when I checked there was a message from Vodaphone on it.

If close enough, phones will break through almost any audio gear.

Just an idea?

Dave.

Back