HELP! New Setup

Reddot

So I am the GM of a local water district. We had a gentleman who filmed our board meetings that recently retired. Rather than have someone else come in and setup/teardown at every single one of our meetings, I would like to set up 3 video cameras that would be mounted permanently that would allow me to record the meetings from now on at which point I can sync audio and the camera I want in the final video through editing software. Please give me some thoughts/experience on what type/brand of cameras i should buy and mount with the above in mind; how I record the video and get said video into editing software; what type of digital audio recorder is good for something like this to sync audio during editing; and the best editing software software that I can purchase that will run on a MAC or PC without having to buy a special computer. I currently have a 12 channel Yamaha mixer (4 auxiliary feeds) with 10 Shure gooseneck style mics in front of each of the board members and staff and 1 wireless Shure mic located at a podium for the public to use to ask questions one at a time. PS, the more discreet the cameras can look, possibly closer to a security camera appearance if possible, the better! These cameras won’t be moved once installed. The room all this is going in is about 30’ x 30’. The quality of the video and audio needs to be clear, allowing someone to make out a face while clearly hearing the audio, but while it would be nice, it doesn’t have to be movie quality:) Thank you in advance for whoever can help out!

Last edited:
Why don't you get a high resolution security setup, place the cameras where you need them. That will give you multichannel. Mark your meeting with a snap, run your audio through your Yamaha into a Mix down, bring your camera recordings and sound recordings into something like Sony Vegas. Line up audio Slice and dice and mix it all together. Using the camera shots for the person talking.

I would think that would be pretty straight forward and the new security cameras are 1080, so should be good solution.

The most important thing (in my opinion) is using editing software that supports multi-cam. It'll make editing soooooo much easier. This is a snap in Final Cut Pro X. I did this for a music video I produced and FCP X is really good at automatically syncing the multi-cam clips, plus switching angles is super easy. I would assume Adobe Premier does this too, and likely other mid-hi end software.

It's possible to do manually as long as your video editing software allows for multiple timelines, otherwise, it'll be a nightmare to cut/paste/sync.

Hooking up your Yamaha mixer via USB will make for great sounding audio and Garageband, or any other recording software will give you enough editing capability to filter out noise and stuff.

Back