Help my microphone is making alot of background noice

magn5832

Hey,

A few months ago i bought a Shure sm7b. It has been used before, so it's not totally new. It came with a Cloudlifter which I am using as well. After buying Mogami gold cables and connecting it to my Focusrite 2i4, i tried to test it out. I have now tried it seveal times and it keeps giving me this wierd background noice, which is still noticeable when the volume/gain is down. I have linked a recording of the sound. What can be wrong? Is it the microphone that is broken? Maybe my cloudlifter? Or is this normal?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• sound.mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
It may be the mike, but if you hear the noise even when the gain is down, it is more likely to be somewhere else in the signal path. Is it present when you have nothing plugged into the focusrite?

Are you able to find somewhere else to test the mike?

Either into another system, or maybe into a PA?

Have you got a different mike you can test? Can you borrow one to test?

Does the noise change when you unplug stuff, or is it there all the time?

Thank you for replying so fast.

Yeah, I think I'm able to test the mic at my school, I'll update you later.

Again thanks for the help

Have you tried simply connecting the mic to the Focusrite? Ignoring the cloud lifter? Also - does your mic input on the Focusrite actually work? Have you ever tried it on another mic. Being honest, that kind of changing noise sounds like a dodgy preamp - so could be the cloudlifter or the Focusrite. You could eliminate the cloudlifter quickly. Depending on what you intend recording, you might not need it anyway. The SM7B is a pretty quiet mic, but sing into it and things are normally fine. Speak into it from 2 feet away and the cloudlifter might be sensible (if it works properly)

Mag,
Are you using a laptop for this rig? If so, do you have it on battery only?
Dale

Back