Help with Compact Studio Setup

Heart_Beat

Hi guys.
I need advice on what equipment to get for a home studio that i am setting up.

I record mostly ambient, rock n pop but i have always wanted the ability to mix it with synthetic sounds like ambient strings and synths. I have absolutely no idea how midi works or how to add synthetic tones to my mix. I have explored the idea of using a synth keyboard like the novation mininova or microkorg but it seems too confusing. That said, i do prefer using a physical instrument/controller rather than creating sounds entirely on a software

I use cubase 5 on Windows 10 and i have a focusrite scarlet 18i20 audio interface (i want to shift to a smaller unit as long as it allows me to record drums), mackie cr3's and a pair of sony mdr 7506 headphones

I want to make a simple and compact studio which gives me the ability to conveniently and simply record:

1. Ambient strings and Synth sounds with flexible control over their character and tone (preferably from a guitar instead of a keyboard - since i play guitar better, but i can also invest in a keyboard as well)
2. record electric guitar via a multieffects processor
3. Record acoustic guitar/violin using a microphone
4. Record vocals
5. Record e-drums from an alesis kit (on individual tracks instead of a premixed stereo signal since i believe that will give me more freedom in the mix)
6. Record e-drum beats on a beat production module

Any help and advice is much appreciated

Thanks!!!

There are plenty of VSTi's (virtual instruments) out there, lots of free ones available too. Here's one place: Free VST Plugins - Virtual instruments and effects - VSTPLANET
To input MIDI via guitar you would need a MID_equipped guitar (there are 'add-on' MIDI pickups available). Keyboards are definitely the easier way to do it. MIDI is not difficult to understand and learn, just got to get used to the 'piano roll' edit window.
The Focusrite interface is a good one, why do you NOT want to use it? Size is unimportant unless you are transporting it.

Those Mackie speakers are too small to reproduce low tones (anything below 85Hz, I would guess), so my first recommendation woudl be to get better monitors. In the meantime, use the headphones.

What advice are you looking for?

Thanks for your help

I still dont know what midi keyboard/controller to get and what setup i need to record e drums on individual tracks and also via beat production module. I need advice regarding this. Also, how do i setup the midi keyboard and e drums to allow multitrack recording with cubase 5

Back