Have questions regarding using a 16 track multitrack deck to record a band "Live" Gig

59 Les Paul

Have questions regarding using a 16 track multitrack deck to record a band "Live" Gig

I will also post this in the BOSS forum. Thought I'd try here also.... Thanks in advance.

I have been recording with a BOSS BR1600 16 track recorder for quite a few years with good success. Mostly recording in my Home studio with overdubbing so I've never had a problem having enough inputs for recording. Always works well with no issues.

The BR1600 has 8 track simultaneuos recording and 16 track playback/mix. Recently I purchased a 12 channel Mackie Mixer for more options, such as the ability the subgroup instruments and free up track space on the recorder itself, and to start doing more "live" recording, which I done very little. I will add that the BR1600 is designed to record live bands, but limited to 8 simultaneous recording inputs.

So, in an effort to NOT sound too dumb.....I need to ask some questions about Live recording and the routing of the cables.

SENARIO: 4 peice rock band = 4 vocal mics, 4 guitar mics( 2 elc, 1 acou, 1 bass), 4 drum mics. 12 mics total.

The band has it's own 12 channel mixer in which everything is coming into and going out to PA system.

Being that my BR1600 only has 8 inputs for simultaneuos recording, I am going to need to more inputs. HOW SHOULD I ROUTE THE SIGNAL CABLES TO CAPTURE EVERYTHING?

Here's what I think>

Option 1:
Use a TS-TS snake patch cable and come out of the "INSERT" on the stage mixer( bands mixer) and go directly into the BR1600 inputs for Vocals(4) and guitars(2). That's 6 inputs used into the recorder, leaving 2 stereo tracks available/open..... set up addtional mics for the drums(4) and have those route directly to my mixer for subgrouping. I will also include in the subgroup the bass and acoustic guitar which will come directly from bands stage mixer into the recorder for a total of 5 mics subgrouped through my mixer.
OK, so we have 6 mics going direct from inserts on the stage mixer into the recorder and we have drums(4), bass(1), acoustic guitar(1) being subgrouped in my mixer and then sent to the recorder on the left over 2 strereo tracks. This fills all 8 inputs on the recorder.

Option 2:
Same as above but subgroup different instruments such as backing vocals, drums, bass????

HOW WOULD YOU SET THIS UP FOR RECORDING A LIVE BAND AT A GIG?

ps> i WOULD ALSO WANT TO CONSIDER A COUPLE OF ROOM MICS ALSO TO BE SUBGROUPED.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

S.

borrow a smaller mixer, put all the drums into it, mix it from there, out 2-track.
gotta get the drum mix right.
but that frees up a few right there.

Back