Guitar solo: mono or stereo?

A1A2

hi,

I was wondering if I should record my guitar solo track in stereo or mono. I tried mono while hoping for dead-centered/detailed sound, but it didn't turn out too well. The guitar sound stood out too much. So I doubled it and pan them slightly to the left and right. It does sound a little fatter, but still doesn't sit very well cuz everything else has reverb. So, I tried short delay/reverb, but then ended up losing clairity.

To hear what I mean, please check "Chill" out: http://nowhereradio.com/a1a2/singles

Any thought would be great. Thank you

ps. I hope this is not considered as cross-posting since I made a post for the same song in MP3 Mixing Clinic.

AL

Moving this to the Recording Techniques forum.

Posting the same question IS what was meant by cross posting.

I always record guitars in mono, unless I am working with a dual micing technique, which has it's own issues. I didn't listen to you mp3, but it would appear that you just havent' tracked a sound yet that fits the mix well.

Eddie

Sonusman,
Thanks for defining cross-posting. I will be aware of that from now on.
I will continue this discussion in MP3 clinic.

Thanks

AL

you collapsed to mono and the guitar sound was duller?

are you running through an effects processor? are you using a prominent reverb? it could be that the mono has affected the reverb which was the cause of the brighter sound.

I just took the left channel from the POD and use that track as mono. Doubled it, and panned them slightly left and right. Delay/Eq a bit on one of them. The sound is not dull, it's a bit too bright to my taste.

LongWaveStudio:

Yes, POD Pro has a "re-amp" out, where dry signal comes out as a seperate channel aside from the 2 wet channels. Or, a S/PDIF out for ADAT and so on..

I am not sure where you are going with this tho...? But, to answer your previous question, the only outboard effects I used was POD and RNC. The chain goes like this: POD->RNC->Mackie mixer->Audiophile.

what's prominent reverb?

AL

i record most guitars in mono, unless the guitar playes HAS to use some sorta stereo modulation/delay pedal.

you should be able to get a fine solo in mono. id say a good 97% of guitar solos were recorded in mono!

and you dont double the mono track to make it fatter or other reasons? I originally just used 1 mono track for the solo, and it sounded...thin and lonely lol

Back