Guitar Recording..or playing?? tips

Bassman

Hi ho....

Ok so I am recording myself playing some heavily distorted guitar, which is kind of new to me(I am a bass player). The songs chord changes are all barred chords, requiring me to move my hand down the neck. Problem is, I am getting a lot of string noise. Is this my technique or something that can be fixed recording wise. Oh and I am Miking an amp, playing through a Boss heavy metal distortion box(Its all I have,...don't laugh)..

Thanks!

it's your technique... but to some degree you will always hear a little string "squeels". and the boss is actually fine when you dont have a tube amp... can i laugh now?

:D

guhlenn

Distortion acts like a compressor and (effectively) raises the volume of all the softer sounds that the guitar produces, including string/hand noises. It is probably your technique, but it may also be that you are using too much distortion, it doesn't always have to be cranked to 10. Try also using your right hand to mute the unnecessary noises and your left can to some extent mute the unused strings.

Also when playing Barre chords with distortion it isn't necessary to always play all the strings, usually 2 or 3 strings is enough and sounds cleaner.

Last edited:
Definitely go with less distortion and only playing 1 or two of the strings....and try running the bass thru some dostortion.....it will actually dirty up the guitar sound.....

I think that all of the members are right on your technique but there is a way thta this can be controlled when mixing.

1 Setup either a parametric of graphic eq and run it through the sidechain of a compressor. Boost the fequencies of the "scratch" up all the way and lower all those that are left. this way your compressor will only react to the "scratch" and will leave the rest of the signal untouched.

2 Set your compressor to the fastest attack and release with the highest possible ratio. Now adjust the gain compensation so that the "scratch" is lost in the mix.

I might point out that this is a very last resort type fix, but if you have a great track except for some "scratches", this could save the day.

thats cool... I willwork on my techniqe, I was playing only the lower strings, learned that from one of my guitar players.. Anyway, I not sure that it would be a big dal in the mix, it may even get lost. The side chain thing sounds cool too.. I could use a de-esser also...

Anyway, when this is done I will post it..then we will see ...

There's more than one way to form barre-chords. It might be an option to play some of 'em in a different neck position so you'll be shifting instead of just sliding. That might take care of some of it, but the tone might change a bit. And it'll take a little more practice than just locking the fingers in a position :).

i also find, quite simply turning the tone knobs down gets rid of those squeaks - if you can afford to make that change to your sound.

those elixirs are great! have you really tested 'm or just played 'm once? after two months they still feel "new" and i don't break my strings due to corrosion anymore...

and uh martin, when playing heavily distorted tracks, there's NO WAY you can turn down the tone knob without srewing your sound. your right though it would eliminate the squeels but also any attack...

guhlenn

Maybe you can make less pressure on strings.

I´ve been bassist for years, and when I started playing guitar I realized I was making too much pressure on strings, so when I moved my left hand up and down, the noise got disgusting.

It doesn´t look important, but perhaps can help you.

Greetings.

Guhlenn:

I tried them out once. Think I left em on for about 2 & half weeks before I couldn't take it anymore. If you search, there's an old thread in which a bunch of people wieghed in opinions of elixirs. They really are a love em or hate em kind of string.

didn't find anything... ah well, don't care really i love 'm it's just that they are F*CKIN 8X as expensive... which kinda bothers me. but then again...
i play live a lot and sweat like hell then so my strings usually lasted 1-2 months and i've got a floyd rose trem so that pissed me off so much i started bringing it to my guitar shop all the time to get restrung, which is just as expensive... don't know how long they're gonna last but they feel real good to me and survived two months already...

man am i happy :)

guhlenn

I found that Elixir's start to lose the polyurethane coating after about four weeks... they start to look like "hairs" growing from the string itself...

Bassman, have you tried "FingerGlide" or one of those finger/string lubricants? I bought a can the other day, haven't actually used it yet (I HATE greasy shit). It's SUPPOSED to help with this "problem," dunno...

No, but I remeber back in my band days, my guitar player did and one night he was being funny and sprayed some on my bass neck... was not a good set to say the least.... I am adjusting my technique... It is sounding better... Thanks for all the advice.. anybody want bass tips?? lol.....

I've used FingerEase - it is not greasy and it works... my bassist was asking about it so I let him try it and he liked it as well....

There is no greasy feel or residue and it doesn't harm the instruments....

(I'm not recommending it for everyone - it's one of those things you either like or you don't!)

Bruce

Back