Guitar and Audio Interface

iFengo

I'm trying to build a home studio and I have no knowledge of how to do so, so I'm still in the research phase. I want to get an acoustic guitar and the MBOX Pro AI. Do guitars come with the cable to plug into an AI or do I have to buy the cable separately? If so what is the cable called?

Assuming that the guitar has some kind of pickup, you will just need an instrument cable to go to the mbox. Just a standard guitar lead for instance.

However, pickups vary in type. Come back with more info once you have decided on your guitar purchase. Members here will be ready to provide specific help when your particular needs are more precisely known.

Paul

The chances are it will just be a standard 1/4 inch guitar cable that you would use to plug into a guitar amp, you will need to buy one but the chances are you will already have one, if not they can range from anything from £5 to ridiculous amounts, just search around on amazon for guitar cables:)

"Electric" acoustic guitars fall into two broad camps. Active and passive.

Actives need an onboard, usually PP3 9V, battery (and some can be a reeet PITA to swop so fit a super long life Lithium, worth the tenner!) but the guitar will come out, usually as said, on 1/4" jack and at a more than enough level to drive a mixer line in or an AI.

Passive are just a piezo-electric pickup, usually under the bridge saddle. These often exit via a 1/8" (ugh!) jack and must feed a specialized pre amp the main property of which is a very high input impedance of 5 to10 meg Ohms, go into a conventional 1 meg amp or lower and the guitar will sound thin and scratchy. No AI to my knowledge has such a high Z input and the only mixer is the A&H Zed series.

But it is generally thought that a pickup of any kind for acoustics is a very second class way to record them. We have a £600 Turner/Fishman setup but micing up is still prefered. Keep a small D capacitor (better two!) in mind for really good "tone"!

Dave.

As your question has already been answered. I would just like to add that *probably* you would be better off micing your acoustic guitar rather than using its built-in preamp when it comes to recording.

Back