Getting the singer to relax.....

UberGawkman

This is more of a psychology question than actual physical recording, but I wasn't sure where else to ask it.

Here's the scenario- we do a take or two of the vocalist, which are pretty good, but could be better. So we decide to try again. However, the more takes we do, the more he starts to think about, "Will THIS be the vocal take?" or "maybe I should do this instead..." and then you can hear that he's trying too hard, which leads to a vicious circle and nothing gets done. Kinda the same thing as when you actually try to have an orgasm or start thinking about trying to have one, you won't. But that's a different subject. What is the best remedy for this? Take a break? Is there anything you can do to get him to relax, and stop thinking about the fact that he's being recorded and focus on the performance? Does anyone have any techniques they use before they go in to record vocals?

I gotta get the guy relaxed, and the more takes he has to do, the more the silent frustration builds up, thus making the next one less likely to be a shiner. Maybe I should just get him drunk. =)

Thanks!

Next time the vocalist comes in to record, tell them to rehearse the the song just once for practise beginning to end without stopping for mistakes.

While you secretly record the rehearsal as an actual take.

If the vocalist thinks it is just a practice, the heats off and maybe they won't be so uptight.

Hell, they might even get it right the first time perfectly.

Sennheiser, that's one of my favorite tricks. I record everything. Also if you do a couple of runs thru the tune and it seems he's struggling, take a break, go outside and have a beer or something with the band and get everyone to relax. Then when you go back in, that's when you do the "secretly recording the rehersal" trick.

relax the singer

I don't know that there really is any way to relieve the singer's anxiety other than to give him a few shots of vodka. This technique either really makes you a good singer, or just makes you think you're singing well (I have no idea which is correct for obvious reasons). In fact, the only way to sing well is to be of the mindset that you sing well...in the words of David Berman: "All my favorite singers couldn't sing."

-max

TexRoadkill said:
Get him drunk and blow him.

Best SNL Ed McMahon.....YES!

Seriously, i've seen guys guys have to drink a beer or two. It may be sad but I have seen it work.

From my own perspective, it's stuff like this that made me want to record at home in the first place......I dont drink and no one wanted to suck my d!ck.

Now I drink iced tea and beat off while tracking vox......just a thought.

heylow

When players/singers are having trouble I usually take a break where we'll end up talking for an hour about absolutely nothing. It wastes time but it lightens the atmosphere which makes the recording process less tiring.

But the best thing to do is to be sure that they have PRACTICED before coming to record. The most difficult recording sessions are ones where the musicians come w/out practicing beforehand. This applies to both unexperience musicians and experienced musicians as well. A lot of 'good' musicians think they can play a part w/out practicing it first, but when they get in the studio it turns out otherwise.

The alcohol thing could work for vocals. Some of my best vocals were done when I had a beer or two. (This was confirmed by listening days or months later. It's not one of those "you're drunk so you *think* you're singing better" things.)

I never thought of that.....So Rage against the machine could have been a totally differant kind of band if they just stopped for some vindaloo on the way to the show?

Remember that Morrison also got blowjobbed while recording, so heylow, dont think you´re off the hook!!!!!!!!!

Kick everyone who doesn't have to be there out{if you are produceing}..Newbies don't need extra help and eyes on them when the going gets tuff..Hell even pros don't like it

Don

For someone to relax, it definetely helps if you are rehearsed and fully conscious of the easy and tough parts, and to know where one can just let go and where you must concentrate, have most of it worked out beforehand...

if it's a male artist (assuming you are also male), take him out to the backyard to take a couple of puffs and gas his head up by telling him how awesome his vocal delivery is.

if its a female artist (again assuming you are male and heterosexual) take her out to the backyard to take a couple of puffs and feel up on her booty while you tell her how great she looks, and how big of a star she'll be.

nothing like positive reinforcement to relax a nervous or unsure singer.

High!

A friend of mine is photographer (doing some 'people' stuff). He did some strange things when recording women who were not relaxed enough: he let them put off their cloth and did some photos (just to throw away). When he let the girls dress a little later, they were REALLY relaxed.

Maybe a similar thing would work for recording, too... Get some folks into the room where you're recording just to have them leave some half an hour later... Might work.

BTW alcohol can really help a lot... I think that most guys would somehow mind to get a blowjob while recording and you seeing it... But maybe afterwards, they'd be relaxed ;)

Ciao

Axel

Uber, here are some ideas that can help;

1) Make sure the song is in a comfortable "key" for the singer.
If not-change it!
2) Have the vocalist sing a "before" rendition of the song
acapella, and after they think they've practiced enough,
record the "after" so they can hear their improvement.
3) Have the band/singer perform the songs to be recorded in
in front of a "friendly" audience of family/friends to get more
confidence about the song(s).
4) If they can afford it...
Have a pro voice coach/teacher on hand to help with technical
details-like many top groups/solo artists do!
(makes a HUGE difference)

Chris

The guy or girl vocalist needs to drink plenty of water (not alcohol, alcohol never did anything good for anyone's voice). Most of the time if a vocalist does great on the first take and goes downhill from there they are singing out of their range. The hardest song (volume and range) should be done last. The easiest should be done first.
Tell them they have a great voice and they will do their best.

Back