Getting noise & distortion in vocal recording even below -12 db

dkali1

I've Bluebird & AT2020 microphone along with Roland Quad-capture interface, ART Tube preamp and Fl studio 12. I tried both microphones but I'm getting vocal distortion and noise even below -12 db gain level. If I record below that level, it records fine but I'm unable to increase gain above that level and it causes significant vocal distortion and noise. I used different mic & pop-filter positions, different XLR cables but got the same issue. Any body knows the reason for that?

Does it occur if you connect the mics directly into the Roland interface and leave the ART preamp out of the signal chain?

I've Bluebird & AT2020 microphone along with Roland Quad-capture interface, ART Tube preamp and Fl studio 12. I tried both microphones but I'm getting vocal distortion and noise even below -12 db gain level. If I record below that level, it records fine but I'm unable to increase gain above that level and it causes significant vocal distortion and noise. I used different mic & pop-filter positions, different XLR cables but got the same issue. Any body knows the reason for that?

So record below -12

What's the problem here anyway??
Are you getting a lot of noise recording lower?

What are you recording.
Soft ballads or H-Bomb blasts.

2 Things:
Ware are you measuring this -12dB?
Have you tried adjusting your sound card driver settings?

Back