Getting that killer guitar tone using DI

I mean, I’ve done it sort of extreme situations where I didn’t have a direct track but wanted a drastically different tone, but in general it’s kind of weird to run a guitar through an amp, speaker, and mic and then through a second amp, speaker, and mic. Like people don’t often do that on purpose. It’s literally the same “mistake” that people make when they run a full on amp/speaker(/mic) sim into a regular guitar amp. It ain’t gonna sound like the first amp, and it’s not going to sound like if the guitar was plugged into the second amp. It’s going to sound like an amp through an amp. You could, in fact, get the same effect just running two amp sims in series.

I realize that this is a couple months old and I'm sure it was sorted out one way or another.

I run a studio and NEVER would I suggest to a client that I could not get something that the client could get behind and enhance their performance with. NEVER.

I get the DI and hunt for sound later thing. I often do that as a third or fourth capture when I'm micing an amp with a mic or two. But in this case the DI is a safety track AND also the player is reacting to the sound of the guitar through the amp and the physics that entail in that. So all of the information going down in the DI capture has all the attack and bends and vibrato.....in short all the touch that the player would be feeling from playing through an amp.

I also use an Eleven rack to capture guitars. Again, it's all about the feel you get with a SOUND that is inspiring the playing.

I don't use the PT in the Eleven, only as an analog device on it's own with it's own Apogee converter into PT. That way I can reamp with it just by assigning it and recapturing it. No delay.....

If I was booking a client and they asked for something I knew I couldn't deliver on I would not feel bad when they went elsewhere to get what they are willing to pay for.

it’s kind of weird to run a guitar through an amp, speaker, and mic and then through a second amp, speaker, and mic. Like people don’t often do that on purpose
On a song I recently recorded, I wanted one of the guitars to sound as different as possible so I recorded it with one mic but through two amps in a simultaneous performance. It might have been an SM58 or one of my drum mics {either a Behringer or a Superlux}. I was using a Line 6 Spider amp and a Fender bassman bass amp and a splitter box to go into each amp with each set to my bizarre tastes. I had the Line 6 on more distorted settings and set about 18 inches further back than the bassman which had a more clean sound and the mic was placed somewhere in between but far back enough to capture both amps. When I'd recorded the piece I thought it sounded OK. But I really listened to it a couple of days ago {it was recorded in late November} and I really like the sound. It's weird. I'm definitely going to try that kind of thing more.
Doesn't help the OP though !

Doesn't help the OP though !
It’s also not really what I was talking about. I see where I may not have been real clear, and maybe I should have quoted or tagged or something. The couple replies before mine were talking about recording an amp through a microphone and then running THAT through an amp sim. My point was that this is like plugging the mic that is in front of one amp into another amp and taking the final output from a mic in front of the second amp. Guitar amps in series is pretty unusual, but in parallel is pretty common.

It’s also not really what I was talking about
I know. But I thought I'd throw it in there anyway because it's rare that one gets to confess what naughtiness one gets up to with one mic and two amps {especially with one being a bass amp}...........:o

Back