General question

needlewithaprun

I am brand new to this forum. I have been a musician for many years but am just getting started in recording my own stuff. Lately I have been looking at the Alesis IO2 2-channel digital interface to record stuff on my iMac but I have been hearing some disparaging things about it.

Can anyone recommend an affordable and great 2-channel interface to use on a mac? I might just use it with garageband but am open to using other software. I don't know that much as you can see. Who can help me out?

I assume you're wanting to stay in the same general budget range of the Alesis? You could go with a Tascam 144; one of several M-Audio options, PreSonus, etc. Just run a search for "2 Channel Interface" here on the forum and you'll see plenty of discussion on the pro's and con's of each.

If you can wait a couple of weeks, there's also a new Lexicon unit coming out - the I-Onix U22 - that appears to be pretty cool. Or, if you can spend a little more, there's always the Apogee Duet.

You could go with a Tascam 144...Or, if you can spend a little more, there's always the Apogee Duet.
The Tascams are always my choice in the entry-level boxes, better than anything else under $200 IMHO. But if I resided in Mac world, I'd go straight for the Apogee and not mess around.

As far as the Lexicon, I'd have to look at the specs, but the preamps in their Omega are disappointingly next-to-useless. If the new one follows the same path, it'd be real disappointing.

G.

As far as the Lexicon, I'd have to look at the specs, but the preamps in their Omega are disappointingly next-to-useless. If the new one follows the same path, it'd be real disappointing.
Completely agree on the Alpha/Omega series. The new ones are rumored to have dbx pre's in them.... hmmm.

Back