Gang Chant?

ConcreteHippo

I was wondering what the best way to record a gang chant.

Should i give everybody a mic, just use on over every body, a few scattered throughout, i dont know what im doing so ide apprecaite some help.

Thanks.

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this thread was about the best way to record a "gang bang."

Great help there.

I've had great results with a single LDC in the middle of the 'gang'; record it, move the 'gang' around a bit so different people are in different places, record it again; repeat step two.

You end up with three tracks of your chant to use as you wish - I usually pan one right, one centre, and one right.

Hope that helps

record a backing scream to go along with the main vocal

then double the backing vocal, and back it up 1-2ms

i also like to add a slight touch of chorus, with different widths/depths on each track

Last edited:
ConcreteHippo said:
ok thanks,so yea ill try that stuff out.

yea the name depends on where your from i guess.

yep, your from basten huh?

im from nuw youke. longilan to be exact.

Elton Bear said:
Great help there.

I've had great results with a single LDC in the middle of the 'gang'; record it, move the 'gang' around a bit so different people are in different places, record it again; repeat step two.

You end up with three tracks of your chant to use as you wish - I usually pan one right, one centre, and one right.

Hope that helps

bingo that's what I did EXCEPT there was only 3 of us so I recorded 6-8 different parts rather than 3 of a gang

i did this sort of thing with a band i was in a few years ago to record a back up vocal line for the choruses. the producer crammed all four of us in the vocal booth (that was just a converted closet)--it got very hot in there quickly. we all stood around one LDC mic set to an omni pattern. in all, it took about 10 mintues to do each line a few times.

depends how many people you are talking and what the chants ie how heavy and prominant. I would record everyone round a omni mic at equal distances. The other way i would do it is maybe have everybody in a semi circle facing into a directional condenser, maybe move them back about 5-6 feet. There is any number of micing configuration that may capture it well, maybe a spaced pair or a x-y configuration, like if you were recording a choir.

wow ok so the general idea im getting is everyone i know yelling with one mic infront of the crowd recorded a few times on seperate tracks with the people shifting places everytime?

Is this for a Metalcore/Post-hardcore/Brocore type band?

I totally know the sound that your going for.

The best thing to do would be to post up a link to a song that has the exact sound that your looking for.

P.S. Have you seen the Boston Beatdown DVD's yet?

Back