Free VST noise gate plugin?

Bloodsoaked

Death Metal Freak
Does anyone know where I can get a Free VST noise gate plugin off the on the web takes out any remaining noise from tracks?

Thank you...

KVR audio has a few that you can dig up for free...

i like anything from digital fishphones!

they have a nice gate... a few others but its all a matter of what you need to do... try some EQ also.... noise gates are painfull to learn how to use.

peopleperson said:
I second this. Just edit.

and I third it...

I've used gate plugins and, although they can work quite effectively, I still prefer to edit the noise bits, where it should be quiet, either in the wave file directly or by clipping the offending sections out within Sonar.

It depends what he's talking about - if there's a lot of tom work it might be better to gate the tom mics rather than spend a week editing between every single hit.

noisedude said:
It depends what he's talking about - if there's a lot of tom work it might be better to gate the tom mics rather than spend a week editing between every single hit.

exactly. no sense in wasting a bunch of time when a gate can take care of it.

guitar junkie said:
noise gates are painfull to learn how to use.

???

i'm surprised so many people have a problem with gates..and i would suggest using them over editing by hand, it's just SO much faster and easier.

if you can use a compressor, i dont see how a gate is any harder to handle...

yeah floorfish is good and has good features. But when the toms aren't hit very much, nothing sounds as good as editting by hand IMO. Even floorfish on zero attack seems to lose a little bit of punch somehow. One of my favorite gates is the one in the VoxChannel plug on the Powercore. pretty-no frills, and you have to just turn off all the other stuff, but a good sounding gate.

If my mic placement or the drummer's cymbol/drum placement results in a lot more bleed than I noticed when tracking, I'll usually go in and edit by hand. Otherwise, if the noisefloor is pretty low, I just gate it with a low threshold. It also depends on the sound. Sometimes 'that gated-to-all-hell' tom or snare sound really suits a mix.

Edit: I 3rd the Floorfish if you want a good freebie

Back