Follow up RE: drum recording - thank you Gtoboy, witzendoz, cavedog101, others!

oddfodder

A while back I posted here, asking for input about an upcoming self-recorded studio session (busy, eclectic music) in which my drums would be recorded. The sessions ended yesterday.

I did a lot of research online (especially regarding OH placement) and asked some questions at a few forums; by far the most useful info obtained from forums was here. The sessions went fantastically well - the best drum sound I ever had and also the most relaxed studio experience of my life.

Here are the highlights of what I did and how it worked:

Tested room and found the spot where the drums sounded best. Changed all drum heads and did extensive drum tuning.

OHs - 2 matched Neumann U87s (cardioid) - set up spaced behind the drums, equidistant from both the bass drum & snare
Snare - Senheiser 441 at shell of snare drum (very close)
Bass Drum - Telefunken M82 with Kick EQ setting enabled (inside), sub kick built from 12" cone outside. I had planned to by an EV but that mic was no longer in production and not wanting to go used, I did some more research and bought the M82.
Toms - mic'd from underneath with Shure 58s/57
Room mic - AKG 414 (omni)
"Look-in" mic - Senheiser 421D - 4' or so in front of drum set (doubtful if this will be used, unless I squash it with compression and mix it under)

Big, big thanks to cavedog101, Gtoboy, witzendoz, Alan and everyone else who weighed in with advice. The set up went very smoothly because with the drums already sounding great, it was just a matter of placing the mics and testing phase. We did reverse polarity on a couple of them; with it all sounding so good, not being stressed and having enough time (we booked the studio for 5 days total), it was easier to focus on the music itself.
:):thumbs up:

Glad to hear it, drum setup is usually the longest pre production bit of labor. Making it stress free is really helpful

Back