folky vocals

ScruffMcduff

I've just finished tracking all the songs for a folk rock artist album and i was wonder what are your favorite plug ins or way to set up vocals for final production?

The best way to get some suggestions is to post some samples (links to the songs). There are no set answers when it comes to adding fx on vocals. Use what is needed. No more.

Also, if you have already tracked all the vocals, your options are now much more limited in making the vocals sound one way or another. Most of it is in the recording.

For folky vocals, I always use NO plugins to get that folky sound.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well, if it becomes folk-rock, a *very* little bit of reverb or delay can be OK, especially if the vocals were tracked in a booth or a dead room. The best folk vocal sound is the sound of a good voice and a good performance of a good song in a good room. EQ, like time-based FX, are for fixing problems. The best way to fix problems is not to create problems. If you're making a studio album, don't fix problems in the mix, re-track them. As a rule, digital manipulation doesn't make real acoustic sound recorded in real acoustic space better. And pleeeeease, don't lay on the digital reverb like an Irish-Celtic folk singer, until you sound like a cross between Clannad and Loreena McKinnet!

Back