Finishing Basement --Studio Concerns

Aberdonian

I know this is a newbie topic but I thought it required experienced answers. I did a search and got a ton of info but I'd like your recommended sites, books, etc. that you consider good. -in my case, sound isolation is not as important as a good sounding room. I believe vocals are generally better in a dead room and acoustic guitar a livlier room. Ceiling will be limited to 7'10"--about 2.4 meters

Thanks for any help.

Alan

I'd suggest posting this in the studio building forum. They can tell you analyzers, acoustic, etc.

However...right of the bat...depending on the music you're recording...to get a really tight/in your face guitar sound...a dead room would be much more ideal. The general concensus I've gotten from this forum is a dead room is much better than a half assed treated one. Reverb can always be applied after the fact. Unless of course you have just an absolutely great sounding room. The real deal is always better...but like I said, in most of our situations involving budgets, space, etc...dead would probably be easier and give you the best results.

Thanks tsl, that is very good and logical advice. A ton of wisdom from a 23 year old. I'll post it in the studio building forum also.

Alan

Google Ethan Winer and John Sayers. There is tons and tons of info and design ideas on just those two sites.

BTW I completely disagree with a completely dead room. I've done it and it's often much too dead sounding to sound good. Just look up what the two gentlemen I mentioned have to say, John's sites will even have some generic build plans. Don't assume someone is wise because it makes sense or sounds right, take advice from pro's that design studios and work with acoustics everyday.

Back