fake live recording!!

Pughbert

i am a young songwriter who plays a lot in a local band. Im a guitarist/ songwriter who sings a bit. I record a lot at home alone, as this is how i go about writing.

I want to creat a few live tracks, without the hastle of a live recording.

I know it can be done cause i have spoke with a record producer who has done it a few times.

I was just wondering if anyone has done it and what tricks you can offer?

Got news for ya... most commercial live recordings are "fake" in that they may only contain a couple live tracks (including the audience) but the rest is mostly studio overdubs.......

KISS did it with their famous live album. Took a few live tracks, overdubbed everything else, triple tracked the audience so it sounded huge.

My friend talked his son into doing the lead voc. on The Beatles "I wanna hold your hand" He was about 14 at the time and his voice sounded like Skreech. He then overdubbed crowd noise off a live beatles record...girls screaming hysterically. It's the funniest thing you ever heard.
He'll be able to blackmail him with this for years to come.

right thats interesting - and tricks ?

heres what i have in my plan alrealy,

- DI acoustic as it would be live
- E.Guitar a little louder than i normal record it
- Drums as is
- Bass I always record DI as the bass amp i have has a real nice XLR DI output
- Vox done throu sm57, no pop screen, again as it would be live and also not over perfecting the vocal performance.

I intend to add a touch extra reverb to the mix to add to the live stage sound.

I have croud noise samples to use

And extra advice?

yes, take your crowd noise samples, and then record everything else in the studio. Thats how real professional live recording are done.

i've got a song that opens with an acoustic coffee shop type of thing before it starts rockin out..

just go somewhere where theres people talking or cheering and take a tape recorder.

that did the trick for me.

don't forget to add the white noise in :P

when people hear that "way too loud" white noise they instinctively think "live recording"

I recently finished a "live" cd for a client that was done totally in the studio. It was pretty tricky but I think in the end we got it sounding pretty close. Most people listen and think it was an actual concert.

I did several things to make it sound "live." We recorded all of his vocals for the cd with the same mic and same positioning. I let there be a tad more proximity effect since you get that a lot in concerts with people eating shure 58's. We did a good bit of planning before we started recording also. After doing the final vox, I sequenced all the tracks out in a ProTools session in the order and everything they would be in.

Next, we got the mixes pretty close, then began collecting samples of crowd noise. He was doing mainly Elvis music, so I took a lot from Live Elvis CD's. I also got some good stuff from a Streisand concert and some others. I tried to mainly stick with one concert for the main audience noise so it sounded like the same place.

With the basic audience in place, I got him to go in and voiceover his comments for the "concert" between the songs. He really fed off having some audience there. Then there was a ton of sequencing to do as far as getting songs to start at the precise time, etc.

In mixing, I basically added several reverbs and delays and mixed to taste until I found a sound that convinced me that we were in an arena. The most laborious thing was editing/mixing the audience tracks. There were several overlapping tracks and a lot of automation to bring them up and down as needed. I even dropped in some of the sampled screams and laughter in the right spots.

I added a touch of the verb to the audience tracks to help them match up with the studio parts, but adding too much made them too distant.

It ended up working out real well. It was a ton of work but it was fun.

Back