Examples of what you think are very well recorded/engineered songs

Mr songwriter

....and/or albums. I was just listening to 'The first band on the moon' album by The Cardigans the other day and it struck me as being a very well recorded album, everything was clear and well defined but also very nicely blended together, I don't know much about the tecnology they used though.

Mr songwriter said:
....and/or albums. I was just listening to 'The first band on the moon' album by The Cardigans the other day and it struck me as being a very well recorded album, everything was clear and well defined but also very nicely blended together, I don't know much about the tecnology they used though.
Man this gets asked just about every other day. Do a search. I believe there is even an active thread about this or similar.

Lol, I had a feeling it might have been, but I couldn't find the topic on any of the forums on here that I normally look at. I normally do search before posting a new thread, but I wasn't sure of the exact keywords to use.

If they're not in this forum, you can find them in the "Mixing/Mastering" forum. Skip the searches and just page through a page or two of topic listings, the thread will not be that buried because they are very popular and rather new. There's at least three threads that I remember that aare less than a few days old at thir newest post. :)

G.

Beck's latest is extremely well done. I think he really uses the possibilities of computer-based recording to their fullest. The editing and production is sublime.

For acoustic music check out Native American by Tony Rice. Recorded and produced by Bill Wolf. Most dynamic guitar playing I've ever heard on disc. Jerry Douglas rocks as always and Tony still had his voice.

Quadrophenia is another very well produced and recorded disc.

Ta Glen, there was one on page 4 of that forum (Well-mixed mainstream albums) I suppose that is a more appropriate forum for a thread like this.

a few

Nightshift by the commodores/lionel Ritchie-This is a perfect example of superb quality in sound and mix/-Un#%^ing Believable.-songwriting gets a huge plus too. Listen to the drums in this song, and in the way all the little chimes and snaps come in so clear. This is in my top 10 of all time. It ranks high in all catagories.

What the hell. Two Against Nature by Steely Dan, engineered by Rodger Nichols. I love Cousin Dupree.

Encore Presentation

Well, I said it in one of the other threads a month ago or so, but I'll repeat this entry one more time because I think it's worth it...

"Duke Ellington And Johnny Hodges Back To Back" on Verve Records. This is a perfect example of how the tracking makes the difference.

Very warm analog sound yet simultaneously has incredible definition and dynamics. A very clean, present, sexy and dynamic recording. Purists may malign the ever-so-slight amount of tape hiss, but when you hear that it does not interfere in the least with the enjoyment of the upright bass intros way down in the negative double-digits of dBs that are still clean and audible, before Johnny Hodges and Sweets Edison max things out at the end of the track with sax and horn doublings that are *clean*, smooth and loud.

Give this a listen before you look at the recording date. Then look at the date and be blown away that it sounds as good as it sounds. And be ready to fall in love with analog all over again...

Oh yeah, the music and performances are as good as they get too. ;)

G.

I agree with what was said about Beck

yes indeed, i definitely agree with the new beck album, brilliant production. Also did you hear the boards of canada remix for broken drum? production does NOT get much better than that...those smooth sampled drums and reverse guitar, simply amazing sound.

neutral milk hotel "aeroplane over the sea" is my favorite sounding record ever. 8 track mx5050 im pretty sure and the way things are layered and blend together blow my mind. a good example of the fact that you dont need a million bucks to make an amazing record. should be a required record for anyone getting into home recording IMO.

Well, my current favourite would be Tom Wait's Real Gone record. It was engineered and mixed by Mark Howard (used to work for Daniel Lanois).

It is a very dirty, lo-fi mix, playing with room reverb to create an incredible sound. Sometimes distorted, sometimes clean, you can even here a ventilator as background noise during the quiet tracks, but it adds to the atmosphere.

It should not work but it does

Santiago

c7sus said:
Beck's latest is extremely well done. I think he really uses the possibilities of computer-based recording to their fullest. The editing and production is sublime.

For acoustic music check out Native American by Tony Rice. Recorded and produced by Bill Wolf. Most dynamic guitar playing I've ever heard on disc. Jerry Douglas rocks as always and Tony still had his voice.

Quadrophenia is another very well produced and recorded disc.

Tony is the absolute man. Me and my guitar, and Unit of Measure are also absolutely fantastic.

Bonnie Prince Billy's Master and Everyone
Neil Young's Harvest
Earlimart's Treble and Tremble
Elliot Smith's x/o
Hum's album that's blue (forget the name)
Dinosaur jr's album w/ Start Choppin' on it
Phish's Farmhouse
Pearl Jam's Yield

Those come to mind right off as being really well tracked and mixed to my ears.

Jethro Tull: thick as a brick.
Yes: roundabout
E.L.P: Tarkus
King Crimson: In the court of the crimson king
Pink Floyd : Dark side of the moon
Black sabbath: black sabbath
Deep Purple : In rock
all very good

Oooh! One of my favorite conversations!

'Heroes' by David Bowie
The Great Destroyer by Low
Beggar's Banquet by the Stones
Our Endless Numbered Days by Iron & Wine
Days of Future Passed by Moody Blues
Another vote for Beck's Geuro.
And another for Tom Waits' Real Gone.
Glassworks by Philip Glass
Red Headed Stranger by Willie Nelson
Funeral by The Arcade Fire (Is anyone else hip to this record???)
Flaming Lips, Beach Boys, Radiohead, Beatles, Joy Division, The Beta Band, Kinks, Wilco, Bjork, Devo, Donovan, Gorillaz, My Bloody Valentine, Sonic Youth, The Turtles, Air, The Zombies, Fiona Apple, Grandaddy, Pink Floyd, NIN, the Velvets, the Iggy Pop records that Bowie produced.

Tony Visconti, Spector, Dave Fridmann, Tom Wilson, the dub guys, Eno, Jim O'Rourke, Alan Moulder, George Martin, Albini, Tom Dowd.

I'll stop there, before I go on forever and ever and ever and ever and.......

Oh, I almost forgot....

Aas much as I don't like the so-called "artists", the production on the Brittany Spears and Gwen Stefani records is brilliant.

You guys can't help it, can you? :) Oh, what the hell...I'll keep it short

Katie Lang - Ingenue
Steely Dan - Asia
Elton John - Madman Across the Water
Seal - Seal

-RD

c7sus said:

i don't know why, but the music on 'guero' seems very distant and sparse.... i can't put my finger on it, but it just seems to lack punch or clarity to me. the sound just leaves me with this "blank" feeling. i don't know. maybe that's just me though. i can't really explain why it sounds that way to me either.
my friend and i recently had a discussion about this, because he felt the same way. he thought it sounded very thin and dull.
even beck's old 4-track recordings sound more lively to me.
the songs themselves however, are fantastic!

Back