Ever resorted to a Sennheiser e609 for kick?

scottmd06

I was once working on a session where a kick drum mic just wasn't available and I resorted to putting a Sennheiser e609 on the kick, knowing It would get down around the 40hz range better than any of the other mics on hand. The result wasn't bad at all, and the e609 was really comfortable with the spl levels that the kick drum shot out.

On another session I had chose a Nady tom mic as a quick replacement and the result was complete crap. I think the Nady could only pick up just about 80hz+ and there was no OOMPF! from the kick... very thuddy.

I have used a SM57 or a Sennheiser 421 with good results when I haven't had a kick mic available, actually we just got a e906 which is the next model up, so I may give it a go next time we have a drum kit in.

Alan.

Let us know how it goes. The session that I had go well, the we had the outer head pulled off the kick and the kick was even scooted rather close to a wall. It created somewhat of its own cocoon for the kick and it cut through the mix really tight.

I've used the i5 on kick before with much success. I'm sure the e609 could as well. Especially if layered with a condenser on the outside or subkick.

I was once working on a session where a kick drum mic just wasn't available and I resorted to putting a Sennheiser e609 on the kick, knowing It would get down around the 40hz range better than any of the other mics on hand. The result wasn't bad at all, and the e609 was really comfortable with the spl levels that the kick drum shot out.

On another session I had chose a Nady tom mic as a quick replacement and the result was complete crap. I think the Nady could only pick up just about 80hz+ and there was no OOMPF! from the kick... very thuddy.

I am curious, where did you position the 609 in relation to where the beater hit the kick head? cheers.

Back